• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tapas Restaurants

baophac

Hey Stockhead,

I'll be going to a place called Pintxos on Rue Roy on Saturday. I'll let you know how it is. It is specifically Basque style food. I'm pretty excited to try it out.

There is also Tapeo on Villeray. Lesley C wrote about it in the Montreal edition of Gourmet. Haven't tried it yet, but I hear good things.

There is also Casa Tapa's in the Plateau. haven't heard too many things about it. I think I would recommend the other two first.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

J

I actually ate at Pinxtos on Roy last night. Great food, ambiance and service. You can make a meal of the tapas or they have a combo of 4 tapas (chef choice) + your choice of one of the main meals @ $28. Very reasonable.

They also have a good selection of Spanish wines. Highly recommended.

The place on St-Laurent south of des Pins is called Zumaia, I went a few weeks ago and found it quite good. Not spectacular but definitely a pleasant meal and a nice change... Incidentally, it is the same owners as Pinxto on Roy. I had intended to go to Pinxto the night in question but it was booked up and they told me about Zumaia.

Casa Tapas is not bad at all - basic in some ways but quite authentic in terms of what you would actually be served as tapas were you in Spain - generally speaking, it's not at all haute cuisine, spanish-style, in small portions as many places interpret it to be! I always have a good time and the ambiance is relaxed, busy, and great for a night of catching up with friends. :)

Went to Pintxos on saturday like coalex...wonder if I saw you there.

It was great. Awsome selectiuon of about 21 Tapas. We ordered pretty much one of everything. The favorites were the mushrooms stuffed with confit canard, the calamari with caramalized onion, and the garlic prawns.

Service was outstanding, wine list was very affordable, and atmosphere ultra relaxed.

All in all, we had a great time and can't wait to get back.

• 2 months later...