• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miyako, Best Sushi in Houston ?

reaganho

In the Chronicle's Ultimate Houston 2005 survey readers picked Miyako as the Best Sushi restaurant in houston. Do you guys agree or disagree? Personally I don't see it. Although there aren't many great sushi restaurants in Houston when comapared to other American cities such as NYC, Chicago, or L.A. There are a few that are much better than Miyako.

I think if a tourist from any of these other cities came to houston and tried Miyako because it's the "best" in houston they would have a big laugh. There are many restaurants in houston that try to imitate the new and trendy sushi restaurants in other metropolitan cities and although these places are a joke compared to the likes of Nobu, Megu, or Matsuri in NYC. I think they are better than Miyako.

I no longer live in houston but of all the places i have tried I would say Azuma and Kubo's beats out Miyako. What is your favorite place to get sushi?

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/spe...mate/index.html

Miyako, IMHO, sucks. Almost any sushi joint in Houston is better, including Todai. Now, I am not sushi expert but I am good enough to tell that if a restaurant semlls "fishy", literally smells like fish, I do not want to eat there. I've been once and nevermore.

As for the so-called "Reader's Choice" awards or selections or whatever, well I always take them with a shovel of salt, not a grain. They are very misleading.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, y'all. I'm fairly new to the Houston area; just moved here about a year and a half ago. I'm originally from Southern California, where there are sushi restaurants about every block or so.

I haven't had any sushi since I've been here because my boyfriend is extremely anti-sushi. :unsure: Consequently, I am now REALLY jonesing for some raw fish!

Anyone know of any good sushi places on the Northwest side, that's not toooo terribly expensive? We live in Cypress, near 1960 and Jones.

Look forward to hearing what y'all have to say!

Valerie

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Don't know about NW side of town, but Kubo's (Rice Village) has always treated me well. They usually have a wide variety, extremely good.

One night I sat at the sushi bar and watched the chef filet a big ol' honkin' whole tuna down to a few select sashimi chunks.

I also have had some Alaskan King Crab there, though I did feel guilty knowing that the fisherman risk life & limb to get that stuff from the bottom of the Bering Sea.