• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mmlstarr

mmlstarr

add'l info

On 6/15/2023 at 5:46 PM, JeanneCake said:

Have you made anything from the book yet?  I haven't had a recipe from this book fail;  I'm on my third copy because I wore out the first two.

She also demonstrates some recipes on YouTube if you want to see what things are to look like.

I like her style and approach, i want to know why things work the way they do.  I like weighing things.  Not everyone appreciates this style so YMMV. 

Let us know which cake you make first!

@Margaret Pilgrim 

The other day I made the White Velvet Cake, and I was so disappointed. I'm not a professional baker, but I bake a lot, lol, and usually it's pretty good. : )

I weighed all my ingredients (even the bp and salt!) and followed the instructions to the letter.  I used her charts at the back of TCB to scale it to 2 8"x2" round layers. the batter looked AMAZING and tasted great. I baked it for 25 mins and did a visual check - not done. Checked with a wooden skewer at 30 min, a lot stuck to the skewer. Checked at 32, ditto. Checked at 34, clean skewers in both cakes. (I will also say that at 30 the cakes had pulled away from the pans even though the skewers were not at all clean.)

The cakes were SO dry - not velvety at all. I don't have a picture of t he crumb unfortunately. I did put the cakes in the fridge for about 15 minutes to help set the icing, but they were fully at room temp if not above by the time we cut into them....

I'm sad. What did I do wrong?

70922612719__E5EEE39C-8C73-479E-A511-1E4FF179E478.jpg

mmlstarr

mmlstarr

On 6/15/2023 at 5:46 PM, JeanneCake said:

Have you made anything from the book yet?  I haven't had a recipe from this book fail;  I'm on my third copy because I wore out the first two.

She also demonstrates some recipes on YouTube if you want to see what things are to look like.

I like her style and approach, i want to know why things work the way they do.  I like weighing things.  Not everyone appreciates this style so YMMV. 

Let us know which cake you make first!

The other day I made the White Velvet Cake, and I was so disappointed. I'm not a professional baker, but I bake a lot, lol, and usually it's pretty good. : )

I weighed all my ingredients (even the bp and salt!) and followed the instructions to the letter.  I used her charts at the back of TCB to scale it to 2 8"x2" round layers. the batter looked AMAZING and tasted great. I baked it for 25 mins and did a visual check - not done. Checked with a wooden skewer at 30 min, a lot stuck to the skewer. Checked at 32, ditto. Checked at 34, clean skewers in both cakes. (I will also say that at 30 the cakes had pulled away from the pans even though the skewers were not at all clean.)

The cakes were SO dry - not velvety at all. I don't have a picture of t he crumb unfortunately. I did put the cakes in the fridge for about 15 minutes to help set the icing, but they were fully at room temp if not above by the time we cut into them....

I'm sad.

70922612719__E5EEE39C-8C73-479E-A511-1E4FF179E478.jpg