• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

typo

For those of you who make traditional marmalade with Seville (bitter) oranges, what is the typical ratio of fruit to sugar? I made a batch last year using 6 oranges and 1.7 kg of sugar but forgot to weigh the oranges. I want to use a similar recipe with kumquats, but now I don't know how much sugar to use. I am guessing 1 kg of bitter oranges/kumquats to 1 kg sugar. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

typo

For those of you who make traditional marmalade with Seville (bitter) oranges, what is the typical ratio of fruit to sugar? I made a batch last year using 6 oranges and 1.7 kg of sugar but forgot to weight the oranges. I want to use a similar recipe with kumquats, but now I don't know how much sugar to use. I am guessing 1 kg of bitter oranges/kumquats to 1 kg sugar. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

For those of you who make traditional marmalade with Seville (bitter) oranges, what is the typical ratio of fruit to sugar? I made a batch last year using 6 oranges and 1.7 kg of oranges but forgot to weight the oranges. I want to use a similar recipe with kumquats, but now I don't know how much sugar to use. I am guessing 1 kg of bitter oranges/kumquats to 1 kg sugar. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!