• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Help With Short Drink Recipe

Rob Simmon

Lately I've been trying to design a new cocktail, and although I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track, I can't nail down the right proportions of ingredients. It started when I tried to think of something to mix with Navan (the vanilla liqueur made by the same folks who bring us Grand Marnier) after makign a brandy smash.

Attempt#1:

1.5 oz. cognac

.75 oz. Navan

and a sprig of mint, shaken.

Too sweet, too vanilla, definitely needed something sour. So off to the market for some fresh raspberries (recalling raspberry tarts garnished with a mint leaf) which I pureed and strained (I figure commercial raspberry syrup would add too much additional sweetness).

attempt #2:

1.5 oz. cognac

.5 oz. Navan

.75 oz. Raspberry Puree

generous bunch mint

Too minty, which buried the raspberry and vanilla, and still not sour enough.

attempt #3 (approximate):

1.5 oz. cognac

.5 oz. Navan

.75 oz. Raspeberry Puree

4 mint leaves

Just didn't come together somehow, primarily still lacking a sour component.

Any suggestions? I don't want to add lemon juice, since I think the lemon flavor will throw things off. I'm considering tracking down some citric or malic acid crystals, but I almost think that's cheating. Otherwsise, I'm stuck, unless I can get a batch of tart raspberries.

thanks

Hi Rob.

What's the thinking behind mixing cognac with vanilla flavored sweetened cognac? Seems like you'll just get slightly less sweet, slightly less vanilla flavored cognac. Navan seems like a potentially interesting product, but if I were you I'd think first about changing base liquors. Navan with applejack seems like it might be interesting. And I'd definitely try it with gin, although that might be less successful. Maybe something like a Twentieth Century Cocktail with Navan instead of crème de cacao.

--

Hi Rob.

What's the thinking behind mixing cognac with vanilla flavored sweetened cognac?  Seems like you'll just get slightly less sweet, slightly less vanilla flavored cognac.

If you really want to know ... I had David Wondrich's <em>Killer Cocktails</em> flipped open to the brandy smash, and saw the bottle of Navan my girlfriend had brought up from the basement sitting on the counter. I asked myself if vanilla goes with mint, thought to myself "it works for Tom's of Maine" and started experimenting. The addition of raspberries came from the desire to add tartness that wasn't lemon or lime. Maybe Applejack, Navan, and manzanita would do the trick (has anybody here tried manzanita?)?

Modifying a twentieth century cocktail seems to be a pretty significant departure. Not to mention the fact that I'm fresh out of both Applejack and Lillet (I'm trying to exercise some self-restraint so I can justify buying a certain trio of very expensive cookbooks from a very famous spanish chef, and draw down my excessive liquor collection (Beachbum Berry calls for far too many varieties of rum)).

How about mixing the Navan with a highland scotch? Vanilla plus vanillin? I think I'm going to need a new liver before too long ...

Sour mix?? A tiny splash of lime juice or grapefruit juice? A bit of lemon juice in the spirit of a sidecar?? That's how I usually adjust for sourness in a cocktail. Bitters are just, well, bitter. Not that they don't have their place in cocktails, but you did say you were seeking sour/tart. How about cranberry juice or pomegranate juice?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Modifying a twentieth century cocktail seems to be a pretty significant departure. Not to mention the fact that I'm fresh out of both Applejack and Lillet.

:smile: Yea, I guess I was trying to say that Navan and cognac doesn't sound like it has too many interesting possibilities. Mixing like with like has only a limited appeal. I did a drink once where I used 50:50 vanilla infused bourbon and regular bourbon in a perfect-style Manhattan takeoff, but since then I've decided that it's a limited approach.

Sticking with the Brandy Smash idea, what about something like cuban-style white rum, Navan, mint and lemon? Or maybe grapefruit instead of lemon and a tiny bit of grenadine (if it needs a little more sweetness) or a few dashes of Peychaud's (if it needs the sweetness tamed) floated on top? Not sure how that would work with mint, though.

--

Sticking with the Brandy Smash idea, what about something like cuban-style white rum, Navan, mint and lemon?  Or maybe grapefruit instead of lemon and a tiny bit of grenadine (if it needs a little more sweetness) or a few dashes of Peychaud's (if it needs the sweetness tamed) floated on top?  Not sure how that would work with mint, though.

After a partial re-thinking:

1.5 oz. bourbon (Buffalo Trace)

.5 oz. Navan

A small bunch of mint (hard to quantify how much, exactly)

shake hard with ice

Turns out not much different than a mint julep, but the Navan hides some of the bourbon character, making it acceptable for non-bourbon drinkers (like my test subject). Next I'll try this with the pureed raspberries.

ok I lied. Not having any raspberries, I went with the rum idea:

1.5 oz. white rum (Matusalem)

.5 oz. Navan

.5 oz. lemon juice

1 sprig mint

shake with ice, garnish with a twist

it comes out tasting similar to a La Floridita (with creme de cacao, not maraschino).

How about a dash of bitters. My daughter the bartender's suggestion.

It just didn't seem to be what was missing. But perhaps the licorice accents in Peychaud's would complement the vanilla.

Brandy and Vanilla Brandy are a great combination. :) If licorice seems the way to go, perhaps a few dashes of Pernod?

Next attempt:

1.5 oz. bourbon

.5 oz. Navan

.75 oz. blackberry puree

a few small sprigs of mint

this recipe is starting to improve, but the blackberries [although more acidic than raspberries (but not remotely as acidic as lemon juice)] are still not tart enough, and the relatively potent mint (a variety called "mint julep") really took over even though it was pretty scraggly.

I was actually feeling pretty happy about my skill as a creative mixologist, but then I mixed up a <a href="http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=42813&st=0&p=614566entry614566">Tantris Sidecar</a> (mentioned by slkinsey in the <a href="http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=72982">Pegu Club</a> thread) and was profoundly humbled.

ok I lied. Not having any raspberries, I went with the rum idea:

1.5 oz. white rum (Matusalem)

.5 oz. Navan

.5 oz. lemon juice

1 sprig mint

shake with ice, garnish with a twist

it comes out tasting similar to a La Floridita (with creme de cacao, not maraschino).

If you are using rum how about pinapple juice as the acid, and back down to a Wash of Navan. Rum and pine were made for each other, but a dash of bitters, or lime cant hurt. The mint used as a garnish is both visually striking, and you get that subtle mint hint that is refreshing. Also what about making a Mai Tai, but substituting the vanilla for the orgeat? To paraphrase the immortal Charles H. Baker... These are the experments that cause our insurance company to dislike us... happy experimenting

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE