• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 6:31 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

See two posts above yours (here).

I'd love to have yours and others' impressions on these if you've tried them. Rhum agricole seems to be a polarizing spirit, so it's good to compare impressions!

Don't know how I missed that! Apparently I didn't realize there was one more page. Too much agricole perhaps...

Of that group I have had the Batiste, Capoville and the Clement Canne Bleue. As it happens the Clement I had was also the European bottle from 2011 (wow, has it been that long?) but I don't know if they have a vintage bottling every year and a regular Canne Bleue, or if they have stopped putting a year on it, or if that is just a US thing. Have never tried the US bottling as it is not available locally to my knowledge. I found the the 2011 to be refreshing and had an almost light morning dewy smell and the taste was as I imagined that smell must taste. Very pleasant. Sorry to here the US bottling was not even close.

The Capovilla was indeed the most unique to me with a lot of body and a richer grassy quality than any I think I have ever had.

I found the Batiste to be very thin at 80 proof (which I suppose could contribute to it being subtle?) and I don't recall the coconut character but I only tried it once and don't have a bottle of it. I was disappointed with it. But I must confess most 80 proof rum seems thin to me unless somebody has poured a lot of sugar in it. Then it tastes less thin and more syrupy sweet. Not a good thing.

tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

I'd love to have yours and others' impressions on these if you've tried them. Rhum agricole seems to be a polarizing spirit, so it's good to compare impressions!

Don't know how I missed that! Too much agricole perhaps...

Of that group I have had the Batiste, Capoville and the Clement Canne Bleue. As it happens the Clement I had was also the European bottle from 2011 (wow, has it been that long?) but I don't know if they have a vintage bottling every year and a regular Canne Bleue, or if they have stopped putting a year on it, or if that is just a US thing. Have never tried the US bottling as it is not available locally to my knowledge. I found the the 2011 to be refreshing and had an almost light morning dewy smell and the taste was as I imagined that smell must taste. Very pleasant. Sorry to here the US bottling was not even close.

The Capovilla was indeed the most unique to me with a lot of body and a richer grassy quality than any I think I have ever had.

I found the Batiste to be very thin at 80 proof (which I suppose could contribute to it being subtle?) and I don't recall the coconut character but I only tried it once and don't have a bottle of it. I was disappointed with it. But I must confess most 80 proof rum seems thin to me unless somebody has poured a lot of sugar in it. Then it tastes less thin and more syrupy sweet. Not a good thing.

tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

Don't know how I missed that! Too much agricole perhaps...