• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF restaurants Fisherman's Wharf

Phil Ward

I will be in SF on a Sunday night staying at The Tuscan Inn. I would like to find a NON tourist type restaurant for dinner. Price point-moderate to expensive; Style- I have a very broad palate.

Thanks and please e-mail to: wardp@opici.com or message me.

Again, thnaks, in advance for your recommendations.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

I will be in SF on a Sunday night staying at The Tuscan Inn. I would like to find a NON tourist type restaurant for dinner. Price point-moderate to expensive; Style- I have a very broad palate.

Thanks and please e-mail to: wardp@opici.com or message me.

Again, thnaks, in advance for your recommendations.

Phil

There are so many choices. You are staying at the wharf but I WOULD NOT eat at most of the restaurants there. However Gary Danko is very close. The chances of getting in are slim but it is totally worth a phone call. One of the best in the city. You could go to Aqua, Quince, Jardineire, The Slanted Door, or Fleur de Lis which are all within cab range but all might be hard to get into. As far as neighborhood places that might be easier to get in there are some of my favorites: Firenze by Night, Italian, in North Beach at Green and Columbus, Luna Park, American, (the goat cheese fondue with apples and bread is yummy) in the Mission at 19th and Valencia, or Greens for vegitarian.

The Tuscan Inn is just blocks away from North Beach. You are also one block from the F-Market street car line which will take you to the Ferry Building (Slanted Door, Market Bar) or downtown restaurants or further.

You can get just about anywhere in a cab or on public transit, but if you are wanting to walk North Beach and Chinatown are the closet areas with many choices. Gary Danko is an easy walk too. We eat in North Beach a couple times a week. Some current favorites: Ideale; Tommaso's for pizza; Trattoria Contadina.

"The smell and taste of things remain poised a long time, like souls, ready to remind us...."

Marcel Proust

I'll definitely add my reccomendation for Gary Danko, if near the Wharf is a requirement.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

L'Osteria del Forno in N. Beach (right on Columbus) is fantastic. It is small, and they don't take reservations, so you have that going for you. The food is good and the atmosphere is quaint. They cook everything using only 2 ovens. You won't be disappointed.

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

Stay away from the Franciscan! Unfortunately, I wound up there and had a poor meal. I think I'd have been happier at the In N Out Burger.

I wanted to try Scoma's, b/c I'd heard from some locals that it was very good. Can anyone offer a review?

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Stay away from the Franciscan!  Unfortunately, I wound up there and had a poor meal.  I think I'd have been happier at the In N Out Burger.

I wanted to try Scoma's, b/c I'd heard from some locals that it was very good.  Can anyone offer a review?

I didn't care for Scoma's. Of all the Wharf seafood restaurants, Alioto's Pier 8 is the one I have been to that I liked the best. Both Scomas and Aliotos are very touristy, however.

That being said, if you are going to eat seafood in San Francisco in a traditional style place, I would recommend The Tadich Grill on California Street, which is the oldest continuously operating restaurant west of the Missisippi. They also invented the Cioppino and serve a damn good one at that.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The Tadich recommendation is good - you get the same tradition as the Wharf restaurants but better food and not as touristy. I work nearby and have lunch or dinner there a few times a month. The cioppino and san dabs are my favorite!

Scoma's is not bad, the food is decent but the service is spotty and the view is not as good as Alioto's. I've found Alioto's to have consistently good service.

If you decide to eat right on the Wharf I think you're find most of the restaurants have decent seafood. I think atmosphere and service should be the decision points.

"The smell and taste of things remain poised a long time, like souls, ready to remind us...."

Marcel Proust