• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a good BYOB

lorib

Does anyone know of a good moderately priced BYOB that's between Bergen County and Somerville (off of 287 would be best). We are looking to meet friends halfway and have run out of ideas. Thanks :smile:

Halfway between Somerville & Bergen County would probably be the Morristown area. There are several good BYOB places in that vicinity. Morristown itself is right off of Rt 287 and Rt 10 is nearby. Let us know your opinion if you've already been to any of these places.

Bella Rosa, 360 Rt 10 West, East Hanover, Phone: (973) 428-8611, fun Italian.

Trattoria Toscana, 554 Rt 10 West, Whippany, Phone: (973) 386-0303, traditional (not red sauce) Italian, great Osso Buco.

Tim Schafer's Cuisine, 82 Speedwell Ave, Morristown, Phone: (973) 538-3330. Highly recommended, CIA chef.

Galicia Of Spain, 141 Speedwell Ave, Morristown, Phone: (973) 682-8828. More South American than Spanish.

Sirin Thai, 3 Pine St, Morristown, Phone: (973) 993-9122. Family run Thai restaurant.

Garlic Rose, 41 Main St, Madison, Phone: (973) 822-1178. Got to like garlic to go there, but it is one of our favorites in the area.

Scalini Fideli is BYOB? I did not know that.

Il Mondo Vecchio is excellent.

RPerlow have you been to Scalini Fedeli?  If you think Il Mondo Vecchio is excellent give Scalini a try.  In my humble, non-expert opinion I think Scalini is better than Il Mondo.

Scalini Fedeli is bring your own and is price fixed I think around 50 dollars (an extra supplement for some items).  The 50 price tag may be a little expensive but is well worth it and you will not be hungry after you leave.  Includes fabulous bread assortment, pre-dinner app, app, entree, sorbet after dinner before dessert, tray of various cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, dessert and coffee.  At least 15 choices for apps and entrees, smaller selection for the desserts including a cheese selection or chocolate soufflé, all are excellent.

It's one of our favorites but reservations are tough to come by.  We usually make them wayyyyyyyyyy in advance, especially for a coveted weekend spot.  Give it a try lorib, I know you will love it.  It’s one of the gems in NJ.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

I haven't been to Scalini Fideli in years, but I remember it being as you described.

I believe Il Mondo Vecchio is owned by the same people as SF.

I am sure Rosie knows for sure but I think they are brothers.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan