• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mandoline

Jeff L

I'd like to do another outing soon to take advantage of this menu though not looking to do another DDC dinner. Anyone?

I'm up for it -- I still haven't made it to Mandoline yet.

Good, that makes 2 so far. I'm looking at Thursday 11/30, please pm me if you want to go and I'll co-ordinate and also post on ISO soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Four of us had a delightful meal last night at Mandoline. (It was on the ISO, thanks Jeff L.) One of our crew was SEPTAed, so we had a chance to chat with Chef-proprietor Todd, his right hand man (another) Jeff and our server before we were seated. I asked Anna her name - this isn't the kind of place where you get a robotic introduction with a "Can I bring you our special (code for extravagantly priced, but otherwise ordinary) drinks?" request. It's a BYO, so they can't use that tired script, anyway. Among other things, we chatted about that 24 course tasting menu I'd had in Chicago last month, setting up a running joke about food numbers and quantity for the night. (So the pizzaiolo says, "You want this cut in 6 or 8?" "Six, I could never eat 8 slices.")

We'd been there before, so we asked them to choose for us. The starter was a demitasse cup of creamy, buttery squash soup. It was excellent; I never would have ordered it. We were off and running. Anna brought three more apps, then we opted for a couple more. Beet salad, lobster truffle mac n' cheese, duck rillette, venison ragout with pappardell pasta and the house signature goat cheese pistachio cake. We shared everything Chinese restaurant style. Dunno which I'd pick second if I could only choose two, but I give top billing to the pistachio cake. There's something about warmed cheese that floats my boat and the fig/balsamic kicker did just that. The beet salad (another thing I wouldn't have chosen) was quite nice - thin, sweet, vinegary beet slices and more (Humbolt Fog) cheese. Who can argue with confit or lobster mac? Nice chunks of tomato in the venison pasta, too. Todd said earlier that Jeff really knows how to cook - we knew that from the DDC dinner when Todd was home with his new son - but he and Todd were just getting started. (6 courses, so far.)

The first two entrees were filet and red snapper. The round, red beef treat was topped with a box (a foie gras croquette;) the jus had sun-dried cherries. This was one fine plate; the liquid became Madeira/foie gras jus when Madame quartered the croquette. It was my favorite. The snapper with wild rice was tasty, too, but I was really grooving on the beef. The second pair were the veal breast and cod. The veal, listed upthread with the prix fixe chat - aside, Philly dining needs more prix fixe deals - rocked, with its tasty pear nibbles while the large piece of cod sat upon a shiitake noodle cake. We were all running out of steam (only 10 courses, but larger than tasting menu portions) by then and didn't quite finish those two.

We passed on dessert (TarteTatin got a reprieve since you-know-what was 86ed) but all ordered coffee. Chef Todd sent us a platter of gelato anyway - sweet potato praline, apple clove sorbet and rosemary goat's milk - the best was the one you just had. We all thought we got our money's worth at $55 each (including Anna's tip) as we disappeared among the cadets and midshipmen into the night. (Army-Navy weekend was getting started on Thursday evening.)

The prix fixe here is the best food deal since StudioKitchen closed. Go.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Mummer-You missed one of the most creative apps that we had.

Tuna bites.

Don't remember the description (even though our waitress repeated everything three or four times for my aging memory!)

But it was Tuna egg rolls or Tuna dumplings or something delish.

Good times.

Good food.

Herbacidal, you missed it.

:smile:

Philly Francophiles

Thanks for the descriptions. I can't wait for tomorrow night! We're dropping my daughter and friends off at the TLA and then going for a lovely dinner. Two weeks ago we dined at L'Angolo while she saw a concert at the Wachovia Center. Her love of music is keeping me well-fed!

Those were really good, Mme. TarteTatin! The amuse, not on the printed menu.

Funny I could remember all 3 flavors of gelato but I completely vegged (fished?) out about them. Timing is everything.

A dozen courses can cause a little fog...

Charlie, great job posting on our meal. With so many plates coming out of the kitchen, it's easy to see how you missed the tuna app.

As you mention, all the food was really quite tasty and the fact that you would never order some of the dishes we had is exactly why I asked Todd to just bring us food. Having eaten there before, I trusted his level of execution and was not disappointed.

While I really enjoyed everything, my favorite choices for the evening were the opening squash soup and the veal dish.

I was the late fourth of that party. While waiting for my late train, I contemplated skipping dinner. Boy, was I glad I didn't! I finally got to the restaurant a bit after 7:30, and thank you to TarteTatin, Jeff and Charlie for waiting for me before ordering. After looking at the menu, and based on Jeff's previous experience, I felt comfortable going with whatever Todd sent from the kitchen. While it cost a bit more than the price fixe, it was certainly worth every penny! It was all good, but for me the beet salad and the lobster truffle mac and cheese really stood out. I do like a bit of crust on baked mac and cheese though.

From the entrees, the filet with the foie gras croquette was amazing-- talk about gilding the lilly! The foie had melted and just flowed out over the filet when the croquette was cut. What a sauce that made! That, and the red snapper with wild rice and cranberries was outstanding. I might have thought the same about the veal and the cod if I had tried them first, but my stomach and my taste buds were both getting overloaded so that might have affected my appreciation of them.

We all passed on dessert, but as Charlie noted, Todd sent a place of gelato and sorbet....... Very nice! Filled as we were, they were just enough of a nice taste to end the meal. My favorite was the apple cider and clove sorbet. Very refreshing, and a nice balance of apple and clove flavor. Clove is so easy to overdo, but not in this sorbet. It was a nice, smooth note of clove, rather than a harsh, overpowering bite of it. Nice meal, nice people, and and all around nice time! Thanks to Jeff for putting this together, to both Jeff and TarteTatin for the wine, and to Charlie, TarteTatin and Jeff for a lovely evening!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

After looking at the menu, and based on Jeff's previous experience, I felt comfortable going with whatever Todd sent from the kitchen.  While it cost a bit more than the price fixe, it was certainly worth every penny! 

I'm glad you felt that way because I had told you the prix fixe was $30 and it ended up being almost double that. I was a little concerned about telling you that and then asking Todd to bring on all the food not really knowing what the final tab would be.

Bottom line, well worth it and in my opinion, a hell of a value for the sheer quantity and obvious quality of the food.

Todd, if you're reading...great job done by all.

You don't have to remind me!

We had a lot of people cancel during the late afternoon, I guess because of the weather. Who knows!

All I can do is show up for work and hope its busy. It upsets enough that people walk by look at the menu and than look into the restaurant and if they see it half empty they keep walking. It is very frustrating. If i only had a answer.

<span style='color:red'><i>Todd Lean

Email me

• 3 weeks later...

finally hit mandoline tonight after a late afternoon show at the ritz. walked in just after 6:30pm with no reservations. promptly seated as we were the only patrons in the restaurant. as we settled in, the restaurant began to fill up.

boyfriend went with $30 prix fixe while i chose to order off the menu. for starters, he had the crab cake which came with diced pineapple and topped with microgreens atop some sort of citrus sauce. very light and straightforward with little to no filler in the cake. the sauce really made it pop. i had the truffled lobster mac n cheese. we've all read the reviews above. agreed. nuf said.

for entrees he had seared tuna on a bed of lentils with syrah reduction. it was decadence on a platter. although he usually prefers meat when we eat out, he was beyond pleased with the tuna and couldn't stop raving about it. he was most definitely a member of the clean plate club! i got the pan roasted cod over a shitake noodle cake with ginger apple jus. the fish was roasted to perfection--tender without being underdone and no semblance of a fishy flavor (although i know there have been arguments on eg about this --"fish is supposed to taste fishy.) the noodle cake crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and especially good with a soaking of the jus.

he went with the cranapple gelato for dessert. nice and tangy palate cleanser. in all, the bill came to $66 before tip. great spot--i'm already plotting my return during which i'll have 2 orders of mac n cheese. yummm!

if you haven't been, GO

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm kicking this thread up again to report another really outstanding meal there last night.

My wife and I did the unthinkable by arriving at Mandoline without a reservation around 7:00. The place was jammed and I was prepared to wait for sure. I must say they handled this beautifully and we ended up going next door to Amada for a drink and were seated by 7:30. I've never shown up on Saturday night w/out reservations before, not sure why I didn't make one this time.

We were both really hungry after walking the flower show for 2 plus hours and dug right into the warm dinner rolls right away. For starters, I had the always excellent lobster truffle mac and cheese and Gale got the beet salad. Her salad featured a blue cheese I've never seen before but was amazingly good with the beets and balsamic dressing.

She had the European Chicken Breast with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and haricot verts in an apple brandy reduction. Really quite an elegant dish we both enjoyed a lot. I ordered slow-cooked veal breast with caramelized salsify and vanilla infused pear compote. This might have been the best dish I've had here and I've had my share. It was rich and flavorful leaving me wanting more.

In between apps and entree, Todd sent out two plates of venison in an amazing cherry sauce with nice pieces of black cherries in it. It was really excellent and the venison was perfectly cooked. Nice touch Todd - well appreciated indeed.

We had some type of bundt cake and the meyer lemon/absolute vodka gelato from Capagiro. This was the best I've had of their stuff to date. Perfect way to end the meal. Another nice touch happened when our waitress arrived with a bottle of dessert wine. It was a nice moscat -forget the name.

Todd's got a really great crew with him and I do like the way he gave credit to Jeff, his sous chef when I complimented him on the veal breast. Todd, if you're reading, next time I promise I'll make a res!

• 1 month later...

I just got this and thought I'd post Mandoline's new 3 course prix fixe menu available Monday thru Thursday @ $30.00 pp:

Mandoline

3 courses for $30

Monday- Thursday

Appetizers (choice of one)

Crabcake- smoked salmon crème fraiche and roasted shallot vinaigrette

Duck and Pappardelle- duck confit with lemon, oregano, and tomatoes

Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus- romaine hearts with balsamic reduction and extra virgin olive oil

Entrees (choice of one)

Quail- goat cheese potato puree and pommeray mustard cream

Linguine- applewood smoked bacon and peas in a light cream sauce

Pepper Crusted Tuna- warm lentil salad and roasted garlic vinaigrette

Dessert (choice of one)

Ask server for dessert selections

Coupons do not apply to this menu

Cash and Check Only

BEVERAGES

Boylan Sodas Bottled Water Iced Tea

Coffee Tea Espresso Cappuccino

Mandoline • 213 Chestnut Street • Philadelphia, PA (215) 238-9403

www.mandolineoldcity.com

• 1 month later...

My sister flew into Philadelphia so that we could travel to Vermont for my son's graduation over Memorial Day weekend.

We were out and about in Philly on Thursday. Since our upscale meal was at Mandoline, and they deserve the bump, I'll put my post here.

But we started at Johnny's Hot where I introduced her to roast pork Italiano and we had a sausage sammie and a dog. Her response to the pork was like many others - why does everybody talk about cheesesteaks?

After bopping around the city for most of the day, including a stops at Isgro's and Fante's and the Japanese exhibit at the Art Museum, we had dinner at Mandoline.

We had the duck "carpaccio" and the standby goat cheese cake for apps followed by a rack of lamb and bouillabaisse. Since Mimi hails from Austin, she wanted to have some seafood and I know Todd would have something good to offer. The fish stew really hit the spot for her and she raved about the subtle use of five spice with the duck. I was a happy camper with 5 lambsicles with fresh veggies. Even with the prix fixe no longer available, Mandoline remains a good value for terrific food. Just go there.

We got back Monday afternoon to do some faves at Sang Kee. Since Szechuan Tasty House was closed, so we didn't have to choose. Then we sampled the Capogiro's strawbery flavors (tarragon & and cream) with wild honey and grapefruit Campari.

Edited by Mummer (log)