• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Porthos

Porthos

6 hours ago, andiesenji said:

This is the next to the largest of this set of Tramontina bowls I bought at Star Restaurant supply in about 1990.  It is a 13 quart, 12 liter.

HPIM4190.thumb.jpg.a0d9cbd0a935c19126ce2edf0036fd0e.jpg

During ren faire season my DW uses this size to make her bread puddings. She bakes two of the same recipe, doubled, for a given weekend. This size bowl makes soaking and stirring the dried bread cubes very easy. After an hour's worth of soaking and stirring she adds whatever else is flavoring the puddings, then puts the batter(?) into two 1/2 size foil pans, which are generally filled close to the top.

Porthos

Porthos

6 hours ago, andiesenji said:

This is the next to the largest of this set of Tramontina bowls I bought at Star Restaurant supply in about 1990.  It is a 13 quart, 12 liter.

The biggest one is currently full of a bunch of cast-iron molds and a couple of other things.  I think it is a 15 quart.

This one has a lot of utensil marks in the bottom from extra-large whisks, huge spoons and my favorite large Danish dough whisk which is so handy in mixing thicker doughs and batters.  

This was also the bowl I used for my more energetic sourdough starters - before I got my extra-large Cambro containers.  

HPIM4190.thumb.jpg.a0d9cbd0a935c19126ce2edf0036fd0e.jpg

During ren faire season my DW uses this size to make her bread puddings. She bakes two of the same recipe, doubled, for a given weekend. This size bowl makes soaking and stirring the dried bread cubes very easy. After an hour's worth of soaking and stirring she adds whatever else is flavoring the puddings, then puts the batter(?) into two 1/2 size foil pans, which are generally filled close to the top.