• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] Vivo vs. El Chile

BlahFace

For those who have not been to either Vivo or El Chile, both located near each other on Manor Rd., you should definately try them. I have been to both and enjoyed them. For those who have been, which do you prefer and why? I know they are both different atmospheres and have different menus, but im still curious for a comparison. I love the margaritas at Vivo and the atmosphere is great for more intimate or formal occasions. Their taco salad is divine :raz: El Chile has great food and the atmosphere is more laid back.

Edited by BlahFace (log)

eat me.

I generally like El Chile better for the food. Vivo is a nice place for dates or intimate parties and their drinks are fabulous but I wish they had more selection on the menu. Try the michelada at El Chile, best in the city!

I generally like El Chile better for the food.  Vivo is a nice place for dates or intimate parties and their drinks are fabulous but I wish they had more selection on the menu.  Try the michelada at El Chile, best in the city!

Thanks! I'll be sure to try the Michelada. But only if you accompany me there :wink:

eat me.

I'll admit it--I've never eaten at El Chili. I'll trust it's as good as y'all say, but I can't keep my car from driving right by it to Vivo's. The puffy tacos and cheese enchiladas are my favorite Tex-Mex on the planet. If I'm out of Texas for more than a week I start to dream about the chili gravy that comes on those enchiladas....

the micheladas at vivo are awesome. the margaritas are overpriced.

if you like puffy tacos head down to angie's on east 7th and I-35 and get their carnitas tacos. they will blow vivo's puffy tacos out of the water.