• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Au revoir France's family-produced cheeses

Going back to my files, I find that only brie and camembert had separate categories for pasteurized and unpasteurized.

So, as with Roger Marris's 61st home run, there's an asterisk along with the Gold Medal for Brie. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

This year there was a whole room off to one side categorized as "processed cheese with additives". None of them won any prizes but a lot of time had to be wasted over them.

Somehow I find this category's inclusion almost humorous ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

This echoes word for word something the cheesemonger at New York's Fairway food emporium, whose name now escapes me, said when he gave a talk at Penn a couple of years ago.

Undoubtedly the inimitable Steve Jenkins whose Cheese Primer sits on the top of my bookshelf - remember to order it through eGullet. Steve has/had a eye and palate for cheeses from all over.

But back to the point. I'm less discouraged than the Independant's author; one still has a wonderful variety of choices in the great stores in Paris and driving through the country-side, there are still enough hand-lettered Reblochon and chevre signs to sustain hope. Indeed, I'm always amazed that on the news at 20h00, the farmers, eleveurs, etc., whom they show during times of secheresse, for instance, are so young and energetic.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris