• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent tastes

Florida Jim

2001 Vina Mein:

And now for something completely different; this is 80% treixadura, 15% godello, and the remaining 5% is a blend of albarino, loureira and torrontes; 12% alcohol; at once reminiscent of German riesling and greco with a sweet nose accented with black pepper and resin; slightly fat on the palate but also brightly acidic with a nice complexity of flavors including unripe pineapple, pepper, resin, melon and citrus; medium length, crisp finish. Very interesting stuff and although I have had wines made with godello or albarino the rest of the blend is new to me. It comes from the Ribeiro region of Spain (home of many fine albarino and light reds from granacha and caino) but the U. S. importer is no longer in business so I have no idea how one would find it.

Of all places, this was in the back of refrigerator unit that held 99% beer singles for sale. Only a geek uncovers such things . . .

1998 Cantina del Pino, Barbaresco Ovello:

Decanted three hours; the nose of this wine is why I adore nebbiolo – expansive with red fruit, leather, floral and spice scents that carry me away; solid on the palate with some complexity and big time grip, concentrated yet still elegant but much too young; medium length, astringently tannic finish. However, with a plate of sautéed golden chanterelles, it was heavenly. Very fine but needs time.

1999 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Cuvee Mystere:

This wine has just never come together; it reminds of a motor-sailer – the least of a cross between a sail boat and a motor boat; if I understand correctly this was made with both under and over-ripe grapes; it doesn’t work. Its not bad wine but it is strained and hollow without either the power of the over-ripe or the freshness of the under-ripe.

An interesting experiment but ultimately, unsuccessful.

1999 J. J. Prum, Riesling Spatlese Wehlener Sonnenuhr:

This is flawed wine; when opened it was sulpherous on both the nose and palate (to the extent that it overwhelmed the wine); 60 hours in the decanter later it was still matchstick stuff. It may be a great house, the fruit may be wonderful and the overall construction of the wine may be excellent – but this is a mistake and it seems to be one this producer makes regularly (albeit, not in such degree).

1999 Raptor Ridge, Pinot Noir Murto Vineyard:

Essence of black raspberry on the nose and palate, multi-dimensional, beautiful balance, very concentrated, precise, astonishingly long; tastes like somebody put Musigny in this bottle. Has the structure and concentration to go a long time and needs it. An exceptional bottle in every respect.

And to think I got a case of this being closed out at $9 a bottle; my, oh my!

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

1999 J. J. Prum, Riesling Spatlese Wehlener Sonnenuhr:

This is flawed wine; when opened it was sulpherous on both the nose and palate (to the extent that it overwhelmed the wine); 60 hours in the decanter later it was still matchstick stuff. It may be a great house, the fruit may be wonderful and the overall construction of the wine may be excellent – but this is a mistake and it seems to be one this producer makes regularly (albeit, not in such degree).

Jim, I'm aware of this "knock" on J.J. Prum. I've never tried the oft-cited "penny in the glass" remedy for this type of sulphur problem with Prum's wines. I'm wondering if you have.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Jim, I'm aware of this "knock" on J.J. Prum.  I've never tried the oft-cited "penny in the glass" remedy for this type of sulphur problem with Prum's wines.  I'm wondering if you have.

Yep; unsuccessful.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim, I'm aware of this "knock" on J.J. Prum.  I've never tried the oft-cited "penny in the glass" remedy for this type of sulphur problem with Prum's wines.  I'm wondering if you have.

Yep; unsuccessful.

Best, Jim

Rovani mentioned encountering sulphur to an unprecedented degree when tasting the '03s. I don't recall if Prum was a particular culprit. He did mention that in many cases the taint seemed to blow off in a few minutes. Not in your case?

Yep; unsuccessful.

Best, Jim

Rovani mentioned encountering sulphur to an unprecedented degree when tasting the '03s. I don't recall if Prum was a particular culprit. He did mention that in many cases the taint seemed to blow off in a few minutes. Not in your case?

Nope.

Not even with 60 hours in the decanter.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com