• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Rearranged photos, corrected spelling, corrected linlk

Those of you who've followed this blog know that I love visiting Charlie's store and perusing their kitchen gear. There's usually, not always, something for me to buy. There's always something to tempt me, even when we're on the return trip and nearly home. This time, I had a specific item in mind.

We all know about buyer's remorse. How many of us have experienced giver's remorse? I gave a (large) carload of stuff, mostly cooking gear, to my greatniece last fall as she was setting up her first apartment. Yes, she needed (or wanted) the stuff! I could spare it! I was doing us both a favor, and passing forward the blessings and help that my parents and their friends had done for me when I was setting up house for the first time.

Well. I'm a bit sorry I gave her my mother's cake pans. Never needed them before now. I have springform pans. They're all at home. My mother's pans had push-up bottoms, like this set (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). What I like about them is their straight sides, perfect for baking sweet rolls. Are they better than the springform pans? Not necessarily, but those pans are at home.

I am NOT asking for them back. We did each other favors, and her aunt is a wonderful baker. She'll probably get far more use out of them than I would at this point. Still, I'd like to have some for the trailer.

I checked out the antique and junk stores. My favorite of those shops closed over the winter! 😕 Nobody else knew what I was talking about. Off I went to Charlie's.

20230428_112351.jpg

20230425_160336.jpg

I didn't bother taking photos of their hilarious tea towels, but you can see them here for a good laugh.

I fondled some charming dipping bowls.

20230425_160326.jpg

I gave mine to my great-niece too. Those I don't want back, but it's fun to look.

I admired a huge strainer, perfect for fishing dumplings or pot-stickers out of a wok.

20230425_160354.jpg

Couldn't quite justify buying it, although -- in retrospect -- maybe it would be better for removing fried shrimp than my current setup. Hmm. It isn't too late to go back!

Kim didn't know what I was talking about on the cake pans, and none of what they had would work. I wonder why cake pans are made without removable bottoms, whether of the type I'm looking for or the springform variety? Leak prevention, I suppose. However, I can all too easily imagine the bottom sticking to the baked goods and refusing to release. What a mess that would be!

20230428_112240.jpg

I did indulge my desire for a new can opener.

20230428_162820.jpg

I haven't really made friends with our side-lid opener that doesn't leave sharp edges but does often make a mess when the lid jerks off too abruptly. Kim commented that this type was her favorite, and I noted that I found our side-cutter type difficult. "I couldn't make mine work at all!" she exclaimed.

Smithy

Smithy

Rearranged photos, corrected spelling, corrected linlk

Those of you who've followed this blog know that I love visiting Charlie's store and perusing their kitchen gear. There's usually, not always, something for me to buy. There's always something to tempt me, even when we're on the return trip and nearly home. This time, I had a specific item in mind.

We all know about buyer's remorse. How many of us have experienced giver's remorse? I gave a (large) carload of stuff, mostly cooking gear, to my greatniece last fall as she was setting up her first apartment. Yes, she needed (or wanted) the stuff! I could spare it! I was doing us both a favor, and passing forward the blessings and help that my parents and their friends had done for me when I was setting up house for the first time.

Well. I'm a bit sorry I gave her my mother's cake pans. Never needed them before now. I have springform pans. They're all at home. My mother's pans had push-up bottoms, like this set (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). What I like about them is their straight sides, perfect for baking sweet rolls. Are they better than the springform pans? Not necessarily, but those pans are at home.

I am NOT asking for them back. We did each other favors, and her aunt is a wonderful baker. She'll probably get far more use out of them that I would at this point. Still, I'd like to have some for the trailer.

I checked out the antique and junk stores. My favorite of those shops closed over the winter! 😕 Nobody else knew what I was talking about. Off I went to Charlie's.

20230428_112351.jpg

20230425_160336.jpg

I didn't bother taking photos of their hilarious tea towels, but you can see them here for a good laugh.

20230425_160326.jpg

I gave mine to my great-niece too. Those I don't want back, but it's fun to look.

I admired a huge strainer, perfect for fishing dumplings or pot-stickers out of a wok.

20230425_160354.jpg

Couldn't quite justify buying it, although -- in retrospect -- maybe it would be better for removing fried shrimp than my current setup. Hmm. It isn't too late to go back!

Kim didn't know what I was talking about on the cake pans, and none of what they had would work. I wonder why cake pans are made without removable bottoms, whether of the type I'm looking for or the springform variety? Leak prevention, I suppose. However, I can all too easily imagine the bottom sticking to the baked goods and refusing to release. What a mess that would be!

20230428_112240.jpg

20230428_162820.jpg

I haven't really made friends with our side-lid opener that doesn't leave sharp edges but does often make a mess when the lid jerks off too abruptly. Kim commented that this type was her favorite, and I noted that I found our side-cutter type difficult. "I couldn't make mine work at all!" she exclaimed.

Smithy

Smithy

Rearranged photos, corrected spelling

Well. I'm a bit sorry I gave her my mother's cake pans. Never needed them before now. I have springform pans. They're all at home. My mother's pans had push-up bottoms, like this set. What I like about them is their straight sides, perfect for baking sweet rolls. Are they better than the springform pans? Not necessarily, but those pans are at home.

I am NOT asking for them back. We did each other favors, and her aunt is a wonderful baker. She'll probably get far more use out of them that I would at this point. Still, I'd like to have some for the trailer.

20230428_112351.jpg

20230425_160336.jpg

20230425_160326.jpg

20230425_160354.jpg

20230428_112240.jpg

20230428_162820.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

Well. I'm a bit sorry I gave her my mother's cake pans. Never needed them before now. I have springform pans. They're all at home. My mother's pans had push-up bottoms, like this set. What I like about them is their straight sides, perfect for baking sweet rolls. Are they better than the springform pans? Not necessarily, but those pans are at home.

20230428_112351.jpg

20230428_112240.jpg

I didn't bother taking photos of their charming and hilarious tea towels, but you can see them here for a good laugh.

20230425_160326.jpg

I admired a huge strainer, perfect for fishing dumpings or pot-stickers out of a wok.

20230425_160354.jpg

20230428_162820.jpg

20230425_160336.jpg