• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected great-grandfather to grandfather

Tonight's dinner was relatively simple: bacon rendered, then set aside; then brussels sprouts, halved, browned in the fat; then cooked down in a mix of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. All reassembled, and served.

20230220_191319.jpg

His bowl looked nice.

20230220_191557.jpg

"I need to show your bowl, not mine. Mine has too much schmutz on it." 

I admit: I may have been mispronouncing the word, and I may be miswriting it now. The most interesting part is that he'd never heard the word. And his parents were of Germanic parentage! His grandfather drove for the Kaiser! 

That led to a silly but funny discussion of Yiddish / Germanic words he didn't know. It all started with schmutz. I just hadn't dished out my bowl beautifully enough for a good photo.

20230220_191620-1.jpg

Schmutz. He didn't know the word.

That led to "schmaltz" and "smarm" or "smarmy". 

Our dinner conversations range far and wide.

Smithy

Smithy

Tonight's dinner was relatively simple: bacon rendered, then set aside; then brussels sprouts, halved, browned in the fat; then cooked down in a mix of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. All reassembled, and served.

20230220_191319.jpg

His bowl looked nice.

20230220_191557.jpg

"I need to show your bowl, not mine. Mine has too much schmutz on it." 

I admit: I may have been mispronouncing the word, and I may be miswriting it now. The most interesting part is that he'd never heard the word. And his parents were of Germanic parentage! His great-grandfather drove for the Kaiser! 

That led to a silly but funny discussion of Yiddish / Germanic words he didn't know. It all started with schmutz. I just hadn't dished out my bowl beautifully enough for a good photo.

20230220_191620-1.jpg

Schmutz. He didn't know the word.

That led to "schmaltz" and "smarm" or "smarmy". 

Our dinner conversations range far and wide.