• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added topic link

Yuma now has a Middle Eastern grocery store!

20180218_153024.jpg

I've been watching that space for at least a year, wondering whether the signs were going up or coming down.  Last fall there seemed to be activity.  This spring there appeared pennants.  Now open!  I strolled in yesterday to check it out.

There's a deli section and a meat counter.

20180219_105417.jpg

The shelves are pretty well stocked.  There are 4 different varieties of zaatar.  They have an impressive suite of pickles and spices, as well as canned and dry goods.  Best of all, they carry the Greenland feta cheese that we like so much!

20180219_104541.jpg

It isn't as large or as ethnically varied as the Babylon Market in Tucson, but it's only been open about 6 weeks.  The people are at least as friendly and helpful as at the Babylon Market.  I asked about asafetida, given the current topic on Cooking with Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India.  They didn't have it but were willing to try to get it in.  I told them it wouldn't be worth it unless a local asked for it.  They did have an impressive selection of Indian teas.

I ordered a chicken shawarma sandwich.  It was huge.  It was very, very good...better than this photo might suggest.

20180219_103251.jpg

I hope they do well with the Yuma Queen market.

Smithy

Smithy

Yuma now has a Middle Eastern grocery store!

20180218_153024.jpg

I've been watching that space for at least a year, wondering whether the signs were going up or coming down.  Last fall there seemed to be activity.  This spring there appeared pennants.  Now open!  I strolled in yesterday to check it out.

There's a deli section and a meat counter.

20180219_105417.jpg

The shelves are pretty well stocked.  There are 4 different varieties of zaatar.  They have an impressive suite of pickles and spices, as well as canned and dry goods.  Best of all, they carry the Greenland feta cheese that we like so much!

20180219_104541.jpg

It isn't as large or as ethnically varied as the Babylon Market in Tucson, but it's only been open about 6 weeks.  The people are at least as friendly and helpful as at the Babylon Market.  I asked about asafetida, given the current topic on Cooking from Vegetarian India.  They didn't have it but were willing to try to get it in.  I told them it wouldn't be worth it unless a local asked for it.  They did have an impressive selection of Indian teas.

I ordered a chicken shawarma sandwich.  It was huge.  It was very, very good...better than this photo might suggest.

20180219_103251.jpg

I hope they do well with the Yuma Queen market.