• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Minor wording and punctuation changes

I'll keep an eye out for another chance to rescue some unwanted leaves.  If the chance doesn't come now, I'll look for them next summer.  Thanks!

It's warm and spring has sprung.  It's subtle in the desert, but if you know where to look you can find color.  The washes in the evening have a delicate floral perfume that I haven't managed to identify yet.

56c5140d42e40_Desertspring1.jpg.8777a9fc56c5140f0e5a8_FairyDustercloseup.jpg.c40

Brittle bush, ocatillo, native trees and fairy dusters

The campfire has come into its own, partly so we can enjoy the night sky and partly to keep the trailer cooler.  We've been making heavy use of a burger basket, a wok-shaped double basket and Papa's Pan, with an occasional appearance by a cast-iron skillet.  Papa's Pan - I've written about it before, here - has given us a new favorite way to cook brussels sprouts.  Cut them in half, load them into Papa's Pan with 2 or 3 strips of bacon cut into 1" chunks, drizzle with enough olive oil to provide good pan searing and a hint of balsamic vinegar.  Close the pan.  Put it over high flame until you hear it sizzling, give a few shakes, flip and repeat, then set it over a warm flame until it's done and the rest of dinner is ready.  

56c51402cbed9_Campfirebrusselssprouts.jp

56c5140a160cb_Campfirewithburgersandspro

This method would also work on stovetop, inside an oven or under a broiler - any source of high heat - but over an outdoor fire with an omelet pan there's no mess to clean up when juices drip from the pan, and there's no need to keep stirring with a spoon or spatula. The first night we tried it we added some stray asparagus spears.  They didn't suffer from the treatment a bit.  That, plus burgers from the basket, and a bit of green salad, were all we needed.  My burger fell apart because it stuck to the basket.  Guess I needed a bit of oil first.

56c514046a13d_Campfireburgerandsproutsdi

Other campfire dinners:

56c5140c133a4_CowgirlChickenCollage.thum

Chicken thighs with a spicy rub, inspired by a recipe from Paula Disbrowe's charming book Cowgirl Cuisine.  The beans here are fava beans - my first attempt, and none too impressive.  The favas will need more work, but the chicken is always a hit.

Numerous grilled-meat and -vegetable dinner salads, like this one:

20160213_201909-1.thumb.jpg.5982c73f9259

Tequila chicken dinner salad, not yet tossed (above), and served (below).

20160213_202043.thumb.jpg.621c73886f13eb

I'll write about pecans and salmon another time.  

Smithy

Smithy

I'll keep an eye out for another chance to rescue some unwanted leaves.  If the chance doesn't come now, I'll look for them next summer.  Thanks!

It's warm and spring has sprung.  It's subtle in the desert, but if you know where to look you can find color.  The washes in the evening have a delicate floral perfume that I haven't managed to identify yet.

56c5140d42e40_Desertspring1.jpg.8777a9fc56c5140f0e5a8_FairyDustercloseup.jpg.c40

Brittle bush, ocatillo, and fairy dusters

The campfire has come into its own, partly so we can enjoy the night sky and partly to keep the trailer cooler.  We've been making heavy use of a burger basket, a wok-shaped double basket and Papa's Pan, with an occasional appearance by a cast-iron skillet.  Papa's Pan - I've written about it before, here - has given us a new favorite way to cook brussels sprouts.  Cut them in half, load them into Papa's Pan with 2 or 3 strips of bacon cut into 1" chunks, drizzle with enough olive oil to provide good pan searing and a hint of balsamic vinegar.  Close the pan.  Put it over high flame until you hear it sizzling, give a few shakes, flip and repeat, then set it over a warm flame until cooked and the rest of the meal is also cooked.  

56c51402cbed9_Campfirebrusselssprouts.jp

56c5140a160cb_Campfirewithburgersandspro

This method would also work on stovetop, inside an oven or under a broiler - any source of high heat - but over an outdoor fire with an omelet pan there's no mess to clean up when juices drip from the pan, and there's no need to keep stirring with a spoon or spatula. The first night we tried it we added some stray asparagus spears.  They didn't suffer from the treatment a bit.  That, plus burgers from the basket, and a bit of green salad, were all we needed.  My burger fell apart because it stuck to the basket.  Guess I needed a bit of oil first.

56c514046a13d_Campfireburgerandsproutsdi

Other campfire dinners:

56c5140c133a4_CowgirlChickenCollage.thum

Chicken thighs with a spicy rub, inspired by a recipe from Paula Disbrowe's charming book Cowgirl Cuisine.  The beans here are fava beans - my first attempt, and none too impressive.  The favas will need more work, but the chicken is always a hit.

Numerous grilled-meat and -vegetable dinner salads, like this one:

20160213_201909-1.thumb.jpg.5982c73f9259

Tequila chicken dinner salad, not yet tossed above, and served below.

20160213_202043.thumb.jpg.621c73886f13eb

I'll write about pecans and salmon another time.