• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected amount of remaining juice from 500ml to 250ml. Misremembered size of that bottle!

Lots of errands yesterday, started late because...well, because. The upshot was that we had pea stew for dinner. There really is a lot of it, and it's handy and easy. Quite good too, without the pepper. This shows just how much it's thickened since cooking and cooling. (You can't tell from the photo, but this had already been heated in the microwave.) I think a little water to thin it to a smoother consistency will stretch the dinners even more.

20240124_195347.jpg

As I reported over here, I got a fermentation kit...having given most of my stuff to a great-niece...and despite my fatigue decided to tackle the half cabbage in the fridge. I really expected it to make 2 quarts of kraut. Surprise! A pint jar would have been adequate. 

20240124_190131-1.jpg

4% fine sea salt by weight, in case you're wondering. I thought I remembered 3%, but the book I was using had it closer to 5%. I split the difference. 

Yesterday morning I decided finally to deal with the pomegranates taking space in refrigerator or coolers for the past month or two. I love the idea of pomegranates: their jeweled look, their tart sweetness. But extracting those pips...even using the easiest way ai know...is time consuming. Worse yet is that the seeds seem to disagree with me. So why do I buy them? I love the idea...their jeweled look...(lather, rinse repeat 🤷‍♀️).

I juiced 'em. 

20240125_084440.jpg

Pomegranate juice in kefir isn't bad. Made a nice switch from a banana. And I still have 250 ml of juice for some other purpose!

Smithy

Smithy

Lots of errands yesterday, started late because...well, because. The upshot was that we had pea stew for dinner. There really is a lot of it, and it's handy and easy. Quite good too, without the pepper. This shows just how much it's thickened since cooking and cooling. (You can't tell from the photo, but this had already been heated in the microwave.) I think a little water to thin it to a smoother consistency will stretch the dinners even more.

20240124_195347.jpg

As I reported over here, I got a fermentation kit...having given most of my stuff to a great-niece...and despite my fatigue decided to tackle the half cabbage in the fridge. I really expected it to make 2 quarts of kraut. Surprise! A pint jar would have been adequate. 

20240124_190131-1.jpg

4% fine sea salt by weight, in case you're wondering. I thought I remembered 3%, but the book I was using had it closer to 5%. I split the difference. 

Yesterday morning I decided finally to deal with the pomegranates taking space in refrigerator or coolers for the past month or two. I love the idea of pomegranates: their jeweled look, their tart sweetness. But extracting those pips...even using the easiest way ai know...is time consuming. Worse yet is that the seeds seem to disagree with me. So why do I buy them? I love the idea...their jeweled look...(lather, rinse repeat 🤷‍♀️).

I juiced 'em. 

20240125_084440.jpg

Pomegranate juice in kefir isn't bad. Made a nice switch from a banana. And I still have 500 ml of juice for some other purpose!