• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

To add Amazon link

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Quoting this because I wasn't finished.  When I used it, I thought, gee, this isn't what it's supposed to feel like.  A closer look led me to the bottom of the box.  How this ended up being sold in a grocery store, I have no idea.  It is quite a fine salt, not far off table salt.  I realize you aren't talking about Diamond Crystal but thought you might find it interesting. 

I’m glad you finished your post because I was surprised that you bought it when you needed coarse salt. I use Diamond Crystal Kosher salt routinely and it is indeed a fine salt, not coarse at all. My box doesn’t have the “Not for Retail Sale” disclaimer but looks just like what you pictured. 
Curiously, Amazon is offering the same food service packaging (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that you purchased. 

Here's a table from a Serous Eats article:

Salt Mass and Volume 

Type of Salt  Weight per Cup  Weight per Tablespoon 
Table Salt  10 ounces; 280g  2/3 ounce; 18g 
Morton's kosher salt  8 ounces; 225g  1/2 ounce; 14g 
Diamond Crystal kosher salt  5 ounces; 140g  1/3 ounce; 9g 
Maldon sea salt  4 ounces; 115g  1/4 ounce; 7g 
Fleur de sel  8 ounces; 225g  1/2 ounce; 14g 
blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

41 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Quoting this because I wasn't finished.  When I used it, I thought, gee, this isn't what it's supposed to feel like.  A closer look led me to the bottom of the box.  How this ended up being sold in a grocery store, I have no idea.  It is quite a fine salt, not far off table salt.  I realize you aren't talking about Diamond Crystal but thought you might find it interesting. 

I’m glad you finished your post because I was surprised that you bought it when you needed coarse salt. I use Diamond Crystal Kosher salt routinely and it is indeed a fine salt, not coarse at all. My box doesn’t have the “Not for Retail Sale” disclaimer but looks just like what you pictured. 

Here's a table from a Serous Eats article:

Salt Mass and Volume 

Type of Salt  Weight per Cup  Weight per Tablespoon 
Table Salt  10 ounces; 280g  2/3 ounce; 18g 
Morton's kosher salt  8 ounces; 225g  1/2 ounce; 14g 
Diamond Crystal kosher salt  5 ounces; 140g  1/3 ounce; 9g 
Maldon sea salt  4 ounces; 115g  1/4 ounce; 7g 
Fleur de sel  8 ounces; 225g  1/2 ounce; 14g