• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

spelling

One of the things that continues to amaze us about Texas is their drive-through liquor stores. Steve's has a drive-through (or curbside service) shed loaded with wines and beers. I didn't think to take a picture of the interior, but the driving lane is fairly narrow because of the stock -- cases and crates, and refrigerators and at least one freezer. We usually go into the associated walk-in shop. The proprietor is an interesting character, quite flamboyant for this part of the world (Hallowe'en painted fingernails, anyone?) and quite knowledgeable about beers and wines. I get good recommendations from him based on my wine tastes. When I asked about the Llano Estacado wines he cautioned me that they come from Lubbock. What exactly that meant I wasn't sure, but it might be like a California wine coming from Lodi: until recently, not likely to be a good source. He said this Sauvignon Blanc is good, and fairly dry, so I came away with a bottle of it and a Castle Rock Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. It's already gone. It was pretty good.

20231108_110308.jpg

He also sold us a 6-pack of Saint Arnold Christmas Ale. We'd noticed it in the grocery store, in cans, but passed it up. He said this had some hints of warm spices, but not overpowering. We love the narrative on the label. 🙂

20231108_110140.jpg

It is a good beer: good body and flavor, just a touch of spice. We'd buy it again. We are also amused by the bottle cap interiors. Unfortunately I threw away a couple before realizing that each one is different.

20231105_190447.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

One of the things that continues to amaze us about Texas is their drive-through liquor stores. Steve's has a drive-through (or curbside service) shed loaded with wines and beers. I didn't think to take a picture of the interior, but the driving lane is fairly narrow because of the stock -- cases and crates, and refrigerators and at least one freezer. We usually go into the associated walk-in shop. The proprietor is an interesting character, quite flamboyant for this part of the world (Hallowe'en painted fingernails, anyone?) and quite knowledgeable about beers and wines. I get good recommendations from him based on my wine tastes. When I asked about the Llano Estacado wines he cautioned me that they come from Lubbock. What exactly that meant I wasn't sure, but it might be like a California wine coming from Lodi: until recently, not likely to be a good source. He said this Sauvignon Blanc is good, and fairly dry, so I came away with a bottle of it and a Castle Rock Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. It's already gone. It was pretty good.

20231108_110308.jpg

He also sold us a 6-pack of Saint Arnold Christmas Ale. We'd noticed in in the grocery store, in cans, but passed it up. He said this had some hints of warm spices, but not overpowering. We love the narrative on the label. 🙂

20231108_110140.jpg

It is a good beer: good body and flavor, just a touch of spice. We'd buy it again. We are also amused by the bottle cap interiors. Unfortunately I threw away a couple before realizing that each one is different.

20231105_190447.jpg