• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

On 4/27/2023 at 7:14 AM, Smithy said:

I love Indian food. I love curries -- Indian, Indonesian, Thai -- but still have to refer to cookbooks to make them. Then I get intimidated. I know, Raghavan Iyer (RIP) did his best to take the mystery out of Indian curries. Madhur Jaffrey and Julie Sahni did the same. Still, I open a book and look at all the spices, and get tired thinking about it.

Are you familiar with the Indian spice tins many home cooks use? I first saw one at an India born neighbor's.  Hers had more than 7 I think. nyway - a nice typical selection all tgether. Here's one (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

heidih

heidih

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

I love Indian food. I love curries -- Indian, Indonesian, Thai -- but still have to refer to cookbooks to make them. Then I get intimidated. I know, Raghavan Iyer (RIP) did his best to take the mystery out of Indian curries. Madhur Jaffrey and Julie Sahni did the same. Still, I open a book and look at all the spices, and get tired thinking about it.

Are you familiar with the Indian spice tins many home cooks use? I first saw one at an India boen nwghbir's.  Hers had more than 7 I think. nyway - a nice typical selection all tgether. Here's one (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)