• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added link

I mentioned before that the mariachis were playing. When I went into the restaurant area, I discovered that they were playing to a single large table rather than working the room as they usually do. I did a double-take.

20230413_160242.jpg

(No, it wasn't for me! But I chose to feel honored anyway. 😄)

20230413_161055.jpg

My darling had already settled into his chair and started working on the chips, salsa and pico de gallo. If I'd been there in time I'd have ordered guacamole also. He never thinks of it.

20230413_151526.jpg

The pico de gallo had a nice bite: sharp onions, just the right jalapeno heat. I'd have appreciated a bit more tomato in the mix, but it still tasted quite good...especially on a chip, and topped with salsa.

20230413_151633.jpg

We ordered more margaritas. The ones from the front desk are complimentary and come in plastic cups. These are somewhat larger. They're all delicious. I don't think they're very strong, but the flavors are perfect and we certainly didn't need to get snockered before going home!

20230413_152158.jpg

Like Shelby, I love huevos rancheros. Other dinner plates looked great too. In the end, I ordered what I think I've ordered there every time: chiles rellenos. The refried beans and Spanish rice finish out the plate. The plate is huge!

20230413_153132.jpg

The rice had a delicious tartness that I think must have come from the tomato sauce. I should try to make that at home. The cheese is "Mennonite cheese" and is very melty and rather tart. I need to go look for that at the local store before we leave.

My darling claims to like Mexican food, but he never remembers what anything is and goes for the familiar stuff. He's never met a burger he didn't like, so he chose hamburguesa con rajas. Fries on the side.

20230413_153134.jpg

The rajas are small strips of sweated green chile. I didn't ask what type, but I suspect poblanos. They had a bit of heat, no sweetness that I could detect, and only a touch of the tart sourness that I associate with green (i.e. unripe) chiles. At any rate, his fries and burger were excellent although neither of us thought the chiles added much.

20230413_154144.jpg

As for me: well, my lunch was FABULOUS. I do love good chiles rellenos. I had a disappointing one a week or so ago, and wrote about it here. This chile was meltingly tender, filled with that delicious Mennonite cheese, and topped with a nice red sauce, pleasantly tart but not spicy-hot. There wasn't a trace of the skin that has to be removed after roasting. (I find that to be one of the more onerous parts of prepping roasted chiles.) This "taste" picture isn't the best, but the money shot simply refused to be shot. I swear it wasn't the margarita.

20230413_153404.jpg

The last time we came, my chiles rellenos seemed a bit perfunctory...almost like institutional food. If I hadn't had a reason to go back this trip, I might not have bothered going. I'm glad I did. These were wonderful. I asked the wait staff to tell the kitchen how good it was, and gave a good tip. I hope it's shared around.

Here's more of the place. Want cut-paper flag strings like these you see along the ceiling? They're offered for sale, in nice flat bundles. I'd thought at first I was looking at cut-paper placemats when I saw them in the store.

20230413_152344.jpg

So are rolls of the plasticized tablecloth fabric.

20230413_150835.jpg

And see that funny stand holding something at an angle in the lower right corner of this picture? We don't know its stated purpose, but it was perfect for supporting my darling's yucca walking stick.

20230413_160034.jpg

We admired the huge dolls and the ambience (and the birthday sign) once more,

20230414_105359.jpg

and paid the bill. It looks alarming, but the exchange rate is 30 pesos to 1 USD.

20230413_155833.jpg

Well worth it, especially because I only ate one of my chiles and brought the other home for later. I do wish, however, that I'd remembered my "complimentary margaritas" ticket! It was in my wallet, but I'd forgotten it was there!

Smithy

Smithy

I mentioned before that the mariachis were playing. When I went into the restaurant area, I discovered that they were playing to a single large table rather than working the room as they usually do. I did a double-take.

20230413_160242.jpg

(No, it wasn't for me! But I chose to feel honored anyway. 😄)

20230413_161055.jpg

My darling had already settled into his chair and started working on the chips, salsa and pico de gallo. If I'd been there in time I'd have ordered guacamole also. He never thinks of it.

20230413_151526.jpg

The pico de gallo had a nice bite: sharp onions, just the right jalapeno heat. I'd have appreciated a bit more tomato in the mix, but it still tasted quite good...especially on a chip, and topped with salsa.

20230413_151633.jpg

We ordered more margaritas. The ones from the front desk are complimentary and come in plastic cups. These are somewhat larger. They're all delicious. I don't think they're very strong, but the flavors are perfect and we certainly didn't need to get snockered before going home!

20230413_152158.jpg

Like Shelby, I love huevos rancheros. Other dinner plates looked great too. In the end, I ordered what I think I've ordered there every time: chiles rellenos. The refried beans and Spanish rice finish out the plate. The plate is huge!

20230413_153132.jpg

The rice had a delicious tartness that I think must have come from the tomato sauce. I should try to make that at home. The cheese is "Mennonite cheese" and is very melty and rather tart. I need to go look for that at the local store before we leave.

My darling claims to like Mexican food, but he never remembers what anything is and goes for the familiar stuff. He's never met a burger he didn't like, so he chose hamburguesa con rajas. Fries on the side.

20230413_153134.jpg

The rajas are small strips of sweated green chile. I didn't ask what type, but I suspect poblanos. They had a bit of heat, no sweetness that I could detect, and only a touch of the tart sourness that I associate with green (i.e. unripe) chiles. At any rate, his fries and burger were excellent although neither of us thought the chiles added much.

20230413_154144.jpg

As for me: well, my lunch was FABULOUS. I do love good chiles rellenos. I had a disappointing one a week or so ago, and wrote about it here. This chile was meltingly tender, filled with that delicious Mennonite cheese, and topped with a nice red sauce, pleasantly tart but not spicy-hot. There wasn't a trace of the skin that has to be removed after roasting. (I find that to be one of the more onerous parts of prepping roasted chiles.) This "taste" picture isn't the best, but the money shot simply refused to be shot. I swear it wasn't the margarita.

20230413_153404.jpg

The last time we came, my chiles rellenos seemed a bit perfunctory...almost like institutional food. If I hadn't had a reason to go back this trip, I might not have bothered going. I'm glad I did. These were wonderful. I asked the wait staff to tell the kitchen how good it was, and gave a good tip. I hope it's shared around.

Here's more of the place. Want cut-paper flag strings like these you see along the ceiling? They're offered for sale, in nice flat bundles. I'd thought at first I was looking at cut-paper placemats when I saw them in the store.

20230413_152344.jpg

So are rolls of the plasticized tablecloth fabric.

20230413_150835.jpg

And see that funny stand holding something at an angle in the lower right corner of this picture? We don't know its stated purpose, but it was perfect for supporting my darling's yucca walking stick.

20230413_160034.jpg

We admired the huge dolls and the ambience (and the birthday sign) once more,

20230414_105359.jpg

and paid the bill. It looks alarming, but the exchange rate is 30 pesos to 1 USD.

20230413_155833.jpg

Well worth it, especially because I only ate one of my chiles and brought the other home for later. I do wish, however, that I'd remembered my "complimentary margaritas" ticket! It was in my wallet, but I'd forgotten it was there!