• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

23 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I've never tried that! We have a 3-quart IP in the Princessmobile, and electrical power when the generator is running. How long do you do the ribs for? How much apple juice do you use: just brush the ribs with it, or put some in the bottom of the pot?

I usually use a 6 qt IP, so don't know how much would fit in the 3 qt. I just put a cup or so of apple juice in the bottom, it's in place of water. I do think it adds a little bit of flavour. I do the ribs on high pressure for about 20 to 25 mins and then let them sit for a bit before I do the release.

I've sometimes thought some kind of spicy apple BBQ sauce would be pretty awesome for the next step and I looked at some recipes but have never followed through on that part. 

Edited to add: You can still do a dry rub before the ribs go into the IP. I usually just do salt and pepper and maybe some garlic and onion powder. 

FauxPas

FauxPas

21 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I've never tried that! We have a 3-quart IP in the Princessmobile, and electrical power when the generator is running. How long do you do the ribs for? How much apple juice do you use: just brush the ribs with it, or put some in the bottom of the pot?

I usually use a 6 qt IP, so don't know how much would fit in the 3 qt. I just put a cup or so of apple juice in the bottom, it's in place of water. I do think it adds a little bit of flavour. I do the ribs for about 20 to 25 mins and then let them sit for a bit before I do the release.

I've sometimes thought some kind of spicy apple BBQ sauce would be pretty awesome for the next step and I looked at some recipes but have never followed through on that part. 

Edited to add: You can still do a dry rub before the ribs go into the IP. I usually just do salt and pepper and maybe some garlic and onion powder. 

FauxPas

FauxPas

15 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I usually use a 6 qt IP, so don't know how much would fit in the 3 qt. I just put a cup or so of apple juice in the bottom, it's in place of water. I do think it adds a little bit of flavour. I do the ribs for about 20 to 25 mins and then let them sit for a bit before I do the release.