• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected composition of these armadillo eggs, now that I've cooked them...no chiles were involved here

We went into Miiller's Meat Market and Smokehouse just before Easter in the mistaken belief that they wouldn't be open on Monday. I'm glad we went then, because they had a sample table at which a woman was showing off some of their wares and giving our samples: smoked ham, something I've forgotten, and a baked potato casserole. I liked that so much that I bought one as part of our Easter dinner. The ingredient label is a bit scary, but the casserole was easy to cook and quite delicious. I'd like to learn to make something like that. (A recipe I just tried out of @JAZ's latest cookbook is close enough to give me ideas, but that's another post.) The cooked dish is visible in the upper right of the plate below.

20220423_123343.jpg

I very much enjoyed wandering around the shop and admiring the lemon-themed napkins, spoons and spread knives, even though I can't use them and can't think of anyone to buy them for. i also enjoyed seeing their various spreads and mixes. 

20220420_180702.jpg

20220420_180924.jpg

20220420_183134.jpg

Their frozen meats section has some amazing items in the "Dave's Creations" section. I was surprised at their idea of "soup bones" -- see the lower left corner of this picture:

20220420_180839.jpg

The meat counter has a wonderful selection of stuffed jalapenos with various fillings, stuffed chicken and pork, unstuffed chicken, pork, beef...sausages.... I don't seem to have taken any photos of that, but we bought "gator toes" and "armadillo eggs" and "brisket stuffed poppers". The "armadillo eggs" (in this case a piece of cheese, wrapped in spicy pork sausage, with the lot wrapped in bacon) are in the freezer. We had the "gator toes" (jalapenos filled with cream cheese and pork sausage, and wrapped in bacon) and the "brisket stuffed poppers" (jalapeno, brisket, cheddar, bacon wrapping) a couple of nights ago.

20220423_121114.jpg

Delicious. I've made things like this and they're a pain to make. I'd rather pay someone else to prepare them!

Smithy

Smithy

We went into Miiller's Meat Market and Smokehouse just before Easter in the mistaken belief that they wouldn't be open on Monday. I'm glad we went then, because they had a sample table at which a woman was showing off some of their wares and giving our samples: smoked ham, something I've forgotten, and a baked potato casserole. I liked that so much that I bought one as part of our Easter dinner. The ingredient label is a bit scary, but the casserole was easy to cook and quite delicious. I'd like to learn to make something like that. (A recipe I just tried out of @JAZ's latest cookbook is close enough to give me ideas, but that's another post.) The cooked dish is visible in the upper right of the plate below.

20220423_123343.jpg

I very much enjoyed wandering around the shop and admiring the lemon-themed napkins, spoons and spread knives, even though I can't use them and can't think of anyone to buy them for. i also enjoyed seeing their various spreads and mixes. 

20220420_180702.jpg

20220420_180924.jpg

20220420_183134.jpg

Their frozen meats section has some amazing items in the "Dave's Creations" section. I was surprised at their idea of "soup bones" -- see the lower left corner of this picture:

20220420_180839.jpg

The meat counter has a wonderful selection of stuffed jalapenos with various fillings, stuffed chicken and pork, unstuffed chicken, pork, beef...sausages.... I don't seem to have taken any photos of that, but we bought "gator toes" and "armadillo eggs" and "brisket stuffed poppers". The "armadillo eggs" (in this case stuffed peppers, wrapped in ground pork) are in the freezer. We had the "gator toes" (jalapenos filled with cream cheese and pork sausage, and wrapped in bacon) and the "brisket stuffed poppers" (jalapeno, brisket, cheddar, bacon wrapping) a couple of nights ago.

20220423_121114.jpg

Delicious. I've made things like this and they're a pain to make. I'd rather pay someone else to prepare them!