• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Spelling: "many" for "any"

One might think that sitting out in the boondocks and socially distancing would lend itself to elaborate cookery. It can, but it also lends itself to loads of computer work and other non-food-related chores. I'm pretty good at procrastinating in the best of times, and the pandemic social distancing hasn't exactly helped me pick up the pace. 

The most elaborate thing I've cooked since the last post was scrambled eggs with cheese, ham (yes, the same one) and Campari tomatoes. In retrospect the tomatoes would have been better chopped and added as a garnish at the end, but they added a nice note. He had the requisite toast with his; I found one lone roll from Thanksgiving and polished it off.

20201217_111003.jpg

Some chores are specific to the boondocking lifestyle. We drove to the nearest trailer park / campground to dump the holding tanks. We were delighted to see that they've livened up the driveway with Christmas decorations!

20201217_112113.jpg

20201214_115322.jpeg

Even the cowboy and cowgirl silhouettes were pulled into the act with sparkly bandannas.

20201217_112241.jpg

Blurry photo of the view as we left and headed "home" again, along with more decorations.

20201217_112542.jpg

I think that night we had our "Bedouin-style tuna noodle hot dish" since neither of us felt much like cooking. The whole moving/dumping/resettling process takes a couple of hours even if one remembers to secure everything properly. If one forgets, there are also messes to clean up. What you see here is the contents of our little end table shelves and our two travel coffee mugs that fell from their overhead shelf, all inconveniently mixed into the pet food dishes. One travel mug's handle broke, but it's still usable.

20201217_113906.jpg

It could have been worse. My mother forgot more than once to close and latch the refrigerator door when she and Dad were trailering around. Anyway, here's my tuna noodle hot dish dinner.

20201214_194436.jpeg

He had toast with his, of course!

We made the trek to town a day or so later. I haven't taken many interior photos of the Fry's grocery store in Yuma, but we like the place. This really surprised me, and added to my sense that Fry's (a Kroger chain) is reasonably upscale. I think it's pretty neat that they list the smoke points on the labels.

20201215_105335.jpeg

Dinner last night was more leftovers: the remains of a pork steak for me, along with asparagus; our single remaining Super Burger for him, with potato salad from the grocery store.

20201217_111411.jpg

Maybe I'll get around to Christmas decorations today. It's on my list. It has been on my list. It will continue to be on my list until I do it or Christmas passes!

Smithy

Smithy

One might think that sitting out in the boondocks and socially distancing would lend itself to elaborate cookery. It can, but it also lends itself to loads of computer work and other non-food-related chores. I'm pretty good at procrastinating in the best of times, and the pandemic social distancing hasn't exactly helped me pick up the pace. 

The most elaborate thing I've cooked since the last post was scrambled eggs with cheese, ham (yes, the same one) and Campari tomatoes. In retrospect the tomatoes would have been better chopped and added as a garnish at the end, but they added a nice note. He had the requisite toast with his; I found one lone roll from Thanksgiving and polished it off.

20201217_111003.jpg

Some chores are specific to the boondocking lifestyle. We drove to the nearest trailer park / campground to dump the holding tanks. We were delighted to see that they've livened up the driveway with Christmas decorations!

20201217_112113.jpg

20201214_115322.jpeg

Even the cowboy and cowgirl silhouettes were pulled into the act with sparkly bandannas.

20201217_112241.jpg

Blurry photo of the view as we left and headed "home" again, along with more decorations.

20201217_112542.jpg

I think that night we had our "Bedouin-style tuna noodle hot dish" since neither of us felt much like cooking. The whole moving/dumping/resettling process takes a couple of hours even if one remembers to secure everything properly. If one forgets, there are also messes to clean up. What you see here is the contents of our little end table shelves and our two travel coffee mugs that fell from their overhead shelf, all inconveniently mixed into the pet food dishes. One travel mug's handle broke, but it's still usable.

20201217_113906.jpg

It could have been worse. My mother forgot more than once to close and latch the refrigerator door when she and Dad were trailering around. Anyway, here's my tuna noodle hot dish dinner.

20201214_194436.jpeg

He had toast with his, of course!

We made the trek to town a day or so later. I haven't taken any interior photos of the Fry's grocery store in Yuma, but we like the place. This really surprised me, and added to my sense that Fry's (a Kroger chain) is reasonably upscale. I think it's pretty neat that they list the smoke points on the labels.

20201215_105335.jpeg

Dinner last night was more leftovers: the remains of a pork steak for me, along with asparagus; our single remaining Super Burger for him, with potato salad from the grocery store.

20201217_111411.jpg

Maybe I'll get around to Christmas decorations today. It's on my list. It has been on my list. It will continue to be on my list until I do it or Christmas passes!