• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added extra comment and link

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

I know little or nothing about growing things...but the farmer who uses our fields, Other Ed we call him, grows oats some years and they look exactly like that.

Sorry, there may be a Canadian vs. Yank language split here, like what Europeans and Africans call "corn" vs. what we Yanks do. What I know as oats look very different, both the wild and cultivated varieties. Tomorrow I'll add a picture of the wild oats growing around here. In the meantime, here's a good photo of the cultivated versions of wheat, rye, barley and oats. (It's copyrighted, else I'd show it instead of linking it.) I'm leaning toward the mystery grass being either rye or barley rather than wheat. I can try calling the Arizona Highway Department tomorrow to learn their standard roadside seeding mix. Unfortunately, given the Coronavirus lockdown situation, I doubt I'll get anyone on the phone.

Tonight's dinner plans are grilled steaks and a tomato salad. I've made the salad, and am kicking back with a Kilt Lifter beer. My darling is on HIS computer, catching up on the news. That may be enough to put us off our feed!

Edited to add: for those who want to really get into the weeds* here's a more detailed discussion of the differences. It's a PDF download, relatively small, apparently harmless, from the USDA.

*I'd apologize for the pun, but it would be insincere.

Smithy

Smithy

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

I know little or nothing about growing things...but the farmer who uses our fields, Other Ed we call him, grows oats some years and they look exactly like that.

Sorry, there may be a Canadian vs. Yank language split here, like what Europeans and Africans call "corn" vs. what we Yanks do. What I know as oats look very different, both the wild and cultivated varieties. Tomorrow I'll add a picture of the wild oats growing around here. In the meantime, here's a good photo of the cultivated versions of wheat, rye, barley and oats. (It's copyrighted, else I'd show it instead of linking it.) I'm leaning toward the mystery grass being either rye or barley rather than wheat. I can try calling the Arizona Highway Department tomorrow to learn their standard roadside seeding mix. Unfortunately, given the Coronavirus lockdown situation, I doubt I'll get anyone on the phone.

Tonight's dinner plans are grilled steaks and a tomato salad. I've made the salad, and am kicking back with a Kilt Lifter beer. My darling is on HIS computer, catching up on the news. That may be enough to put us off our feed!