• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Changed one sentence for clarity

I am quite taken with the meat section of that little market in Calipatria. On the way through from the Salton Sea to our current camping spot, I stopped again. My darling grumbled about our having too much food already, but at $1.99/lb for good pork shoulder roast and for good boneless/skinless chicken leg meat I couldn't resist. i had specific desires for that pork and chicken.

I had the butcher cut the 7-pound pork shoulder roast in half. He cut it so that only one half had a bone. 

20200205_222755.jpg

The boneless half will be cooked as a pork roast, with the requisite Lipton's Onion Soup Mix and other accoutrements preferred by my darling. I took the half with the bone, and split it more. The bone has gone into the freezer to help with the next batch of beans. Part of the remaining meat has gone into storage for souvlaki. The remainer went into a Pueblo Green Chili Stew, from the cookbook Jane Butel's Southwestern Kitchen. I found this book in a library sale last year, and have enjoyed the book and recipes without posting much about it.

20200205_222309.jpg

The flavors were good, and the basic technique is a keeper. We both thought the stew was too hot, but that probably had to do with the heat of the Hatch chiles in the freezer. They came from two different sources, and were classified differently.

Smithy

Smithy

I am quite taken with the meat section of that little market in Calipatria. On the way through from the Salton Sea to our current camping spot, I stopped again. My darling grumbled about our having too much food already, but at $1.99/lb for good pork shoulder roast and for good boneless/skinless chicken leg meat I couldn't resist. i had specific desires for that pork and chicken.

I had the butcher cut the 7-pound pork shoulder roast in half. Today, I split the half that had a bone into smaller parts. 

20200205_222755.jpg

The boneless half will be cooked as a pork roast, with the requisite Lipton's Onion Soup Mix and other accoutrements preferred by my darling. I took the half with the bone, and split it more. The bone has gone into the freezer to help with the next batch of beans. Part of the remaining meat has gone into storage for souvlaki. The remainer went into a Pueblo Green Chili Stew, from the cookbook Jane Butel's Southwestern Kitchen. I found this book in a library sale last year, and have enjoyed the book and recipes without posting much about it.

20200205_222309.jpg

The flavors were good, and the basic technique is a keeper. We both thought the stew was too hot, but that probably had to do with the heat of the Hatch chiles in the freezer. They came from two different sources, and were classified differently.