• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Minor wording changes

Last night's dinner was breaded, baked chicken thighs; broccoli salad; and the cauliflower mascarpone mash I mentioned earlier from Fine Cooking. I'm not sure I agree with the article that I'd never miss mashed potatoes with this as a substitute, but it was pretty darned good. I'll do it again.

20190413_230312.jpg

A little grocery store in Columbus, that I haven't bothered to photograph, has a surprising selection of frozen goods - better than I'd expected, based on their small selection of fresh produce. We went in yesterday to stock up on beer. I couldn't resist buying these:

20190413_134043.jpg

I keep running across recipes for nopalitos but not getting around to cooking the cactus paddle bits that I bought until they were starting to go off. These frozen bits can hold until I'm ready to use them. The mango bits will come in useful for a mango salsa, either with Mexican food or with some of the Indian and Thai curries I've admired. Suggestions for either of these items are welcome! 

We're on the road today, headed eastward (and, incidentally, out of cell coverage). It's tough to catch good photos from the windshield, but we've noticed over the past few years that this "Christmas tree" gets more colorful each time.

20190414_122059.jpg

Our road food includes hard-boiled eggs, cheese and crackers, but as i write this we've managed to have an austere breakfast:

20190414_121739.jpg

We've been indulging our appetites much, much too much this trip. It's time to make some changes.

See you in a few days!

Smithy

Smithy

Last night's dinner was breaded, baked chicken thighs; broccoli salad; and the cauliflower mascarpone mash I mentioned earlier from Fine Cooking. I'm not sure I agree with the article that I'd never miss mashed potatoes with this as a substitute, but it was pretty darned good. I'll do it again.

20190413_230312.jpg

A little grocery store in Columbus, that I haven't bothered to photograph, has a surprising selection of frozen goods - better than I'd expected, based on their small selection of fresh produce. We went in yesterday to stock up on beer. I couldn't resist buying these:

20190413_134043.jpg

I keep running across recipes for nopalitos but not getting around to cooking the cactus paddles until they were starting to go off. These frozen bits can hold until I'm ready to use them. The mango bits will come in useful for a mango salsa, either with Mexican food or with some of the Indian and Thai curries I've admired. Suggestions for either of these items are welcome! 

We're on the road today, headed eastward (and, incidentally, out of cell coverage). It's tough to catch good sights from the windshield, but we've noticed over the past few years that this "Christmas tree" gets more colorful each time.

20190414_122059.jpg

Our road food includes hard-boiled eggs, cheese and crackers, but as i write this we've managed to have an austere breakfast:

20190414_121739.jpg

We've been indulging our appetites much, much too much this trip. It's time to make some changes.

See you in a few days!