• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Changed "much less" to "much less work"

One of my "start using or stop buying" dinners during our slow times featured corn I'd frozen and vacuum packed at home, some mesquite-smoked olive oil I purchased last year (unopened), prickly pear balsamic vinegar (ditto), onion, and (sorry, kayb :P) a collection of peppers: jalapeño, poblano, red bell and some medium-heat roasted and peeled Hatch chiles that are taking up freezer space. I softened the peppers and onion in a pan, using the mesquite-smoked EVOO, then added the corn and Hatch chiles. At this point I was regretting the use of the smoked oil for sweating the veggies, so I opened and added the balsamic vinegar to sweeten it up a bit.  When I was satisfied with the flavor, more or less, I distributed the mixture between two bowls I'd picked up during a retail therapy trip last month.  Those went into the oven to stay warm. 

Back went the pan onto the fire.  I poached some orange roughy filets in butter, put them atop the vegetables in the bowls, finished the sauce with a bit of mustard and Meyer lemon, and distributed it over the fish. Voilà!  A one-pan, two-bowl meal.

20180205_150221.jpg

It was better balanced than most of our bowl foods, with good protein underlain by good vegetables. Cleanup afterward was much less work than usual.

20180205_150127.jpg

We liked it enough that I scribbled out what I'd done, along with what I'll do differently next time.  That smoked olive oil would be better as a finishing oil than a cooking oil; I tasted the smoke far too long after the fact, although my darling didn't.  The orange roughy was cottony to me - overdone, perhaps? wrong fish? - and we both agreed that the fish was superfluous although the butter, mustard and lemon sauce was not.

20180209_105756.jpg

Now I just have to refine the recipe and rewrite it before it loses its place on the refrigerator.

Smithy

Smithy

One of my "start using or stop buying" dinners during our slow times featured corn I'd frozen and vacuum packed at home, some mesquite-smoked olive oil I purchased last year (unopened), prickly pear balsamic vinegar (ditto), onion, and (sorry, kayb :P) a collection of peppers: jalapeño, poblano, red bell and some medium-heat roasted and peeled Hatch chiles that are taking up freezer space. I softened the peppers and onion in a pan, using the mesquite-smoked EVOO, then added the corn and Hatch chiles. At this point I was regretting the use of the smoked oil for sweating the veggies, so I opened and added the balsamic vinegar to sweeten it up a bit.  When I was satisfied with the flavor, more or less, I distributed the mixture between two bowls I'd picked up during a retail therapy trip last month.  Those went into the oven to stay warm. 

Back went the pan onto the fire.  I poached some orange roughy filets in butter, put them atop the vegetables in the bowls, finished the sauce with a bit of mustard and Meyer lemon, and distributed it over the fish. Voilà!  A one-pan, two-bowl meal.

20180205_150221.jpg

It was better balanced than most of our bowl foods, with good protein underlain by good vegetables. Cleanup afterward was much less than usual.

20180205_150127.jpg

We liked it enough that I scribbled out what I'd done, along with what I'll do differently next time.  That smoked olive oil would be better as a finishing oil than a cooking oil; I tasted the smoke far too long after the fact, although my darling didn't.  The orange roughy was cottony to me - overdone, perhaps? wrong fish? - and we both agreed that the fish was superfluous although the butter, mustard and lemon sauce was not.

20180209_105756.jpg

Now I just have to refine the recipe and rewrite it before it loses its place on the refrigerator.