• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added update

The other thing I did yesterday morning was mix sourdough pita dough.  I set it in the refrigerator to rest and develop overnight, with an eye to baking it this morning.  This morning, when I pulled it from the refrigerator, a packet of cheese was stuck to it.  Overnight it had become the Monster that Ate the Refrigerator.

20170313_105456.jpg

Perhaps it's because in yesterday's heat the refrigerator was up to 54F.  This morning it had crawled down to 42.

I took the silicone lid off and cut the overflow away.  It's a bit on the dried and crusty side.  I have it under a damp tea towel to see whether I can moisten it enough to make it pliable again.  The remainder of the dough, that stayed in the container, seems okay.

20170313_105914.jpg

Any advice about what to do with this mess?  I'm going to clean up my breakfast dishes and then start rolling the pita.

Edited to add: The dried stuff on the right was successfully rehydrated and also made into pitas. We're set for snack / sandwich breads for a few days.

20170313_131540.jpg

Smithy

Smithy

Added update

The other thing I did yesterday morning was mix sourdough pita dough.  I set it in the refrigerator to rest and develop overnight, with an eye to baking it this morning.  This morning, when I pulled it from the refrigerator, a packet of cheese was stuck to it.  Overnight it had become the Monster that Ate the Refrigerator.

20170313_105456.jpg

Perhaps it's because in yesterday's heat the refrigerator was up to 54F.  This morning it had crawled down to 42.

I took the silicone lid off and cut the overflow away.  It's a bit on the dried and crusty side.  I have it under a damp tea towel to see whether I can moisten it enough to make it pliable again.  The remainder of the dough, that stayed in the container, seems okay.

20170313_105914.jpg

Any advice about what to do with this mess?  I'm going to clean up my breakfast dishes and then start rolling the pita.

Edited to add: The dried stuff on the right was successfully rehydrated and also made into pitas. We're set for snack / sandwich breads for a few days.

Smithy

Smithy

20170313_105456.jpg

20170313_105914.jpg