• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nachos

winegeek

One of my favourite summertime activiteis is sitting on a patio somewhere, eating nachos and drinkng beer. I don't believe I've ever seen this topic discussed here. The best nachos I've ever had were at The Buros Bar, which unfortunatley is too far to travel just for the nachos (Puerto Vallarta). That will have to wait another 6 months!

The best I've had in the Lower Mainland were actually Northlands Golf Course in North Vancouver. Great nachos, tons of cheese and other fixin's. Great view also, although obviously not of the ocean. While the nachos themselves weren't the best I've ever had, the place down at Jericho (I can't for the life of me remember the name) had a huge platter that were relativley inexpensive and a great view, right on the water. I'm sure many of you have been there.

What are your favourites and why?

Derek

Back when I lived on Bowen Island and would stop at the Troller Pub (not to be mistaken for Troll's Fish & Chips restaurant) in Horseshoe Bay on Friday afternoons for a couple of attitude adjusting beverages prior to catching the ferry, my girlfriends and I would almost always order nachos.

I love nachos, but I am not particularly picky about them: if they have a goodly amount of cheese, lots and lots of jalapeños, and some black olives (even canned, I don't care), and come with some salsa, some guac, and some sour cream, then I'm a happy girl.

So by my criteria, the Troller has good nachos. I'm not sure what nacho purists might say about them though. Also, I have not sampled them in many a moon.

Edited to change "loved on Bowen Island" to "lived on Bowen Island" although either is correct, really...

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Back a few years, Lou's up on W. Broadway used to do great nachos. Lots of toppings and multi-layered (something very important). When you finished up, there was still a ton of toppings on the plate. Tatlow's on 4th also does a decent batch, although their salsa is too smokey.

's all I got.

It surprises me as well that this thread isn't more contentious.

While we're here, I'm gonna throw in that "Nacho's" is my 2nd most despised common menu grammatical error. (Lose extra points for throwin' a "t" after the "a".)

Odds are when you see that, the nachos ain't so good.

k.

PS- For the record, my most despised is the ubiquitous "Ceasar" (salad or cocktail).

You're right..this should be a much livelier and informative subject..

Nachos are great for groups of beer swilling partiers..a communal plate..to try to soak up some of the drinks..

So often tho, they are alarmingly disapointing..and expensive. Bridges pub use to do a great plate..but they are very skimpy on ingredients now...and seem to like using the broken bits from the end of the bag..

So where are the good nachos...

IN FOOD, CHEF LYNN FROM ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS FOODS CAFE AND CATERING

So where are the good nachos...

They are at my house :laugh:

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist this thread. There are serviceable nachos around here (Seattle) BUT..

Seriously, IMO the best nachos one can have are the ones you make at home. Just throw your fave chips in a big pyrex, some chicken bits that has been sauteed with jalepenos and garlic, some cilantro, (I usually throw it in with the saute'ing chicken right at the end) some black beans, some black olives, some green onion, pepper jack and cheddar, then some chopped roasted chiles on top of that (yes you can put a second layer on top of this if you want) and bake till the cheese is bubbly and crispy- serve with avocado & tomato & sour cream if you are so inclined and it will make you very happy!

Born Free, Now Expensive

I remember the first time I had really good nachos. I have a low threshold - I mean I even like the cheese whiz crap.

But I was still at UBC and some of us went out to Bridges one afternoon and sat out on the deck and had nachos and other appy's. The nachos were loaded with cheese and stuff and the chips were super toasty from being under the grill.

It was the 80's (and Ling had just been born somewhere...), everybody was wearing Ray-Bans, and I was having my Gordon Gecko moment. God - they could serve any crap on that deck and it would taste good. They need to spend some dough and clean up the big sign on the restaurant - it is virtually frosted with bird poop.

I cannot remember the last time I had really great nachos. Perhaps never? I mean, I like nachos, and I have had good times eating nachos, but not necessarily because of the nachos. How many times can I say "nachos"?

I think it is more the act than the food itself. You are pretty much guaranteed to be drinking beer while eating nachos, and sometimes you are on a patio. What's not to like here?

If I were ever to find myself stuck indoors on a cold rainy December day at a wake for my goldfish after just having flushed him into the great beyond, here is the nacho platter that would still bring a smile to my face: warm crispy chips as Canuckle said, lots of layers of cheese varietals and "stuff" as Kurtisk said, and top notch (fresh) salsa / guac / tomatoes / jalapenos. But where you can get this in Vancouver I do not know.

Otherwise I agree the Northlands and Bridges patios are fine locations to enjoy natcho's I mean nachos. In years past Lou's was good too; not for the patio so much as the excellent beer specials. And I used to like the Queen's Cross in NVan (before makeover), but once again that was after summer softball with a skinfull of beer.

There is never anough goop on the Nacho's in restaurants and one is always left with dried up naked chips at the bottom, but having said that, my favourite is still The Galley at Jericho Sailing Club, the platter is so big you don't need to get the the naked ones on the bottom, and the setting - 2nd to none. Get too messy and you can just jump in the water!

The Naam did make a good plate of nachos or I remember them being good anyway, it has been about 2 years. For those interested, there's an article on Foundation's nachos at:

http://www.terminalcity.ca/food/

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Bridges used to put a full pound of cheese on their nachos- but they were never very generous with the guacamole. Disclosure: I worked there at one time.

Anyway, nachos are kind of a loss leader, or should be, to encourage the vast consumption of beer- am I right?

I liked the nachos locos at Las Margs under the Salazars, and also the other kind they had that were served in a flat layer with refried beans spread on them.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

When we were young and foolish, the keg had the best nachos and would serve us "real" drinks too (we were 14!) They had a layer of refried beans on the bottom. Not so long ago, I organized a beer and nacho night for my friends once, but had a rather lacklustre turn out. We had GREAT Nachos at Dix Pub on Beatty Street - pulled chicken, beef and BBQ beans.

http://www.markjamesgroup.com/restbrew/dix...allday_2004.pdf

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

When we were young and foolish, the keg had the best nachos and would serve us "real" drinks too (we were 14!)  They had a layer of refried beans on the bottom.  Not so long ago,  I organized a beer and nacho night for my friends once, but had a rather lacklustre turn out.  We had GREAT Nachos at Dix Pub on Beatty Street - pulled chicken, beef and BBQ beans. 

http://www.markjamesgroup.com/restbrew/dix...allday_2004.pdf

UGH! that's where I had those nachos. I had forgotten. I may be OK with canned olives, but I completely draw the line at barbecue and BAKED BEANS on nachos.

Sorry.

I'm glad you enjoyed yours.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

The last place I had really great nachos was at Jack Astors back in Toronto (deliverance from which I daily thank God). What set them apart was tons of cheese, and their secret ingredient: ground beef.

To those cooking nachos at home, how do you keep the chips from getting soggy? I've tried to make them in my oven, and while a hot oven keeps the top layer crisp the inner layers get soggy from the melted cheese/salsa/guac/etc. What local brands work best?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com