• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer Pudding

jackal10

Now, where am I going to get some currants in Chicago? I see them so rarely. 

The green city market, check Klug farms, they had some this past wednesday, there were a couple of other farms with currants, fresh apricots, all the good stuff to make a beautiful summer pudding, maybe some clotted cream from the dairy guy would not be a bad addition.

Patrick Sheerin

I'm glad to have found this thread after Varmint's reference to summer pudding in his blog (with no link!). When I've made summer pudding in the past I've used a loaf pan which gives quite an inferior presentation. I'd been wondering how to remedy that, so jackal10 and abra have given me great ideas. Thanks!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I'm checking the markets for currants (no luck yet, but I have high hopes for Saturday), but I've got a loaf of brioche that I'd love to have a purpose for. I'm afraid that it will melt (crumble? moosh?) in a summer pudding.

How did the challah work?

Carolyn

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

I was never much tempted to make summerpudding. Somehow the thought of 'bread and fruit' was not very appealing to me.. but after following this thread and seeing the gorgeous pictures, there was no doubt what to make when I was presented with a large bucket of currants and raspberries!

I made it for a friend's birthday party. It served 15, in small slices, after a large dinner. It was much, much better than I expected. The bread is really transformed by the long soaking process.. and I was surprised how balanced the flavors and textures were.

I also shamelessly stole Abra's idea of the cinnamon whipped mascarpone and it was very, very good!

There's blackberry sauce on top, to cover up some white spots.

gallery_21505_358_33005.jpg

Don't discount the loaf tin version. Once pressed overnight under another weighted tin it slices perfectly (obviously you discard the end pieces).

And cherries Jack? Surely more heretical than blackcurrants...

I also like to add a good slug of booze to the fruit. Creme de mure is my favourite, but cassis, framboise and grand marnier could all do a job.