• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate frosting alternative to Buttercream?

meredithla

I have a friend who wants a chocolate cake for her baby shower with a chocolate frosting that is not buttercream. She doesn't like buttercream. Any ideas? I thought chocolate ganache but isn't that usually poured over buttercream for a smooth finish? Hmmm...javascript:emoticon(':hmmm:')

I have a friend who wants a chocolate cake for her baby shower with a chocolate frosting that is not buttercream.  She doesn't like buttercream.  Any ideas?  I thought chocolate ganache but isn't that usually poured over buttercream for a smooth finish?  Hmmm...javascript:emoticon(':hmmm:')

You can do a light, whipped chocolate ganache -- think chocolate whipped cream, all grown up. I have a few different recipes and will be happy to post proportions, if you like. You can also use standard poured ganache (or glaze) with no buttercream underneath.

Or, rolled chocolate fondant, which tastes like tootsie rolls.

make her a cupcake with chocolate buttercream on it and see if she likes it....my husband swore he hated buttercream because he'd only had "buttercream" from the grocery store bakery. i made actual buttercream and he couldn't get enough. lots of folks think of buttercream as shortening filled roses bigger than your mouth.

I have a friend who wants a chocolate cake for her baby shower with a chocolate frosting that is not buttercream.  She doesn't like buttercream.  Any ideas?  I thought chocolate ganache but isn't that usually poured over buttercream for a smooth finish?  Hmmm...javascript:emoticon(':hmmm:')

not sure as new here to states as to what exactly buttercream is, but just melt some of your fav chocolate, lindt 70%, callebraut, valrona 62% +....and add some single cream unwhipped to desired consistency and taste test and you're way with ganache..so easy so delicious.

Here's an interesting one:

Cream:

8 oz butter

15 cups powdered sugar

Add:

2 cups cocoa

1/2 cup water

Mix thoroughly.

Add:

1 1/2 lbs cream cheese (preferably room temp)

Whip to desired consistency.

It's a really fudgy tangy icing/filling. Yum!

I know this is a fairly large batch.......you can halve it or whatever......

:smile:

If you want options try taking 1 part chocolate to 3/4 cream and melting the chocolate with the hot cream to make a ganache that is pourable and spreadable....it will remain set up at room temp and you can use it on the inside layers as well as pour it over the cake to glaze the outside. Another option is to reverse the ration and warm half the cream to melt the chocolate, add the remaining cold cream and slowly whip the mixture to aireate the frosting(if it becomes thick or broken, continue to add cold cream and fold in the cream to bring back the smooth texture) good luck.

You can do a light, whipped chocolate ganache -- think chocolate whipped cream, all grown up. I have a few different recipes and will be happy to post proportions, if you like. You can also use standard poured ganache (or glaze) with no buttercream underneath.

Or, rolled chocolate fondant, which tastes like tootsie rolls.

Yes, please post proportions!

make her a cupcake with chocolate buttercream on it and see if she likes it....my husband swore he hated buttercream because he'd only had "buttercream" from the grocery store bakery.  i made actual buttercream and he couldn't get enough.  lots of folks think of buttercream as shortening filled roses bigger than your mouth.

I was thinking the same thing. I think we might have a tasting panel for her.

Here's an interesting one:

Cream:

8 oz butter

15 cups powdered sugar

Add:

2 cups cocoa

1/2 cup water

Mix thoroughly.

Add:

1 1/2 lbs cream cheese (preferably room temp)

Whip to desired consistency.

It's a really fudgy tangy icing/filling. Yum!

I know this is a fairly large batch.......you can halve it or whatever......

:smile:

This one sounds like it will be my personal favorite. I'll definitely try it. :smile:

Here's another question for everyone...in the past when I've made chocolate icing it comes out a much lighter color than I like, tastes a little bitter and looks almost grainy. Still chocolate, but not that appealing to me. Possibly because my recipe used cocoa powder and powdered sugar.

How can I make that dark, fudgy icing on fudge cakes or blackout cakes? Smooth, really dark, really fudgy?

This is a great icing - it can be used as a glaze, but I prefer to thicken it with Wondra or flour after it comes off the heat & spread it like icing. It's wonderful.

Sarah Bernhardt Chocolate Glaze

1 Cup quality chocolate chips

1 stick & 1/2 butter- room temperature, cut into pieces

1 Tablespoon Karo clear corn syrup

Place all ingredients in top of double boiler, fill bottom of boiler half full of warm water. Heat over medium setting, and stir just till chocolate chips are melted and only a few spots of unmelted butter remain. Remove from heat and stir gently till remaining butter has melted. Cool till the consistency of Hershey's chocolate ice cream syrup for pouring over a filled cake, or allow to set till firm and apply to cake with an icing spatula.

Note: I have found that in order for this to set firm, you must add a few T of flour or Wondra to it. Just add 1T at a time, stir & allow to set until you get the firmness you are looking for. I always use this recipe this way as I don't care for glazes. This spreads perfectly & has a wonderful consistency after it has been thickened & tastes marvelous.

Rock is dead. Long live paper & scissors!

To assist in coloring your frosting use a little bit of black coloring and a little brown coloring which will deepen as your frosting matures.

I did that last week and I got a great color and didn't diminish my chocolate flavor.

Go luck.

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

Here's another question for everyone...in the past when I've made chocolate icing it comes out a much lighter color than I like, tastes a little bitter and looks almost grainy.  Still chocolate, but not that appealing to me.  Possibly because my recipe used cocoa powder and powdered sugar.

How can I make that dark, fudgy icing on fudge cakes or blackout cakes?  Smooth, really dark, really fudgy?

Here's a frosting recipe that is so easy and amazingly good, especially if you like dark chocolate. Melt one 12-ounce package of good quality semisweet chocolate chips. Remove from the heat and cool briefly, then stir in a cup of sour cream until it's completely combined. Spread on the cake and let it cool. The frosting is dark and glossy, and it tastes so good you won't believe it. I serve this on a simple pecan cake that I split and fill with whipped cream flavored with a little grated orange zest.

Eliza Cross

"A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion."

For light whipped chocolate ganache, use 8 oz bittersweet chocolate and 2 cups of heavy cream to make a standard ganache. Chill the ganache, either in the fridge or in an ice water bath, stirring every so often. Don't let the mixture get too cold to incorporate air. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla and beat until soft peaks form -- it will continue to thicken after a few moments at room temp.

• 4 months later...
For light whipped chocolate ganache, use 8 oz bittersweet chocolate and 2 cups of heavy cream to make a standard ganache.  Chill the ganache, either in the fridge or in an ice water bath, stirring every so often.  Don't let the mixture get too cold to incorporate air.  Add 1/2 tsp vanilla and beat until soft peaks form -- it will continue to thicken after a few moments at room temp.

Just did this ganache last night with Cacao Barry Orange Milk Chocolate and a little Guittard semisweet. Lovely! But I'm confused about the third sentence - "don't let the mixture get too cold to incorporate air"? Does this mean we shouldn't stir it while it is cooling?

For light whipped chocolate ganache, use 8 oz bittersweet chocolate and 2 cups of heavy cream to make a standard ganache.  Chill the ganache, either in the fridge or in an ice water bath, stirring every so often.  Don't let the mixture get too cold to incorporate air.  Add 1/2 tsp vanilla and beat until soft peaks form -- it will continue to thicken after a few moments at room temp.

Just did this ganache last night with Cacao Barry Orange Milk Chocolate and a little Guittard semisweet. Lovely! But I'm confused about the third sentence - "don't let the mixture get too cold to incorporate air"? Does this mean we shouldn't stir it while it is cooling?

Hi, Skyflier, sorry to have been unclear. No, you should definitely stir the ganache while it is cooling! What I meant was, don't let the chilling ganache get so cold that you won't be able to whip it. You want it to remain fluid (though quite thick and viscous). If you let it chill too far without continuing to stir, you're going to get a fairly solid mass (not very whip-able).

I've taken simple ganache and let it cool until it's thick enough to spread. At that point, it's fudgey and is easy to make into a smooth surface. Then, to gild the lily, I use the Sarah Bernhardt glaze (above) to top the cake - but you could just leave the ganache alone as a finish.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Dark chocolate ganache, that has cooled just enough so it is still spreadable, makes a lovely, glossy, chocolatey finish to a cake. Don't beat it, just spread it on like frosting.

I agree with the previous comment, though, that maybe your friend has never had a real French chocolate buttercream. Maybe she's only had the creamed Crisco stuff, which is enough to gag anyone.

edited to add this: 8 ounces (weight) excellent quality dark chocolate (I like Callebaut semisweet) and 8 fluid ounces of heavy cream is the recipe I use for ganache.

Edited by etalanian (log)

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow