• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

maplewood restaurants

bearstew

I have been away for awhile, Europe mostly, and now it seems as tho our favorite places, for different reasons, in Maplewood have been sold or closed. Has anyone heard anything aboutn American Fare, Celebrated foods or Jocelynnes?

Wow, too bad about Jocelyne's. I know just a couple of months ago Rosie had posted a rave review here. It also had won top 10 best in NJ many times.

Anybody have any details about the new stewardship at Jocelyne's? Will they be keeping the name?

Jocelyne's has changed hands.

Wow, too bad about Jocelyne's. I know just a couple of months ago Rosie had posted a rave review here. It also had won top 10 best in NJ many times.

Anybody have any details about the new stewardship at Jocelyne's? Will they be keeping the name?

I have to say that this news about Jocelyne's is a shock since it's one of our favorites. Ironic, too, since they received a 4-star review in the Star-Ledger in May. In fact, when I tried to reserve a table there on Wed., June 15th, Jocelyne answered the phone and informed me that they were fully booked. We had never before had a problem getting a table mid-week, so I chalked it up to the "fallout" from that excellent review. Or, maybe people had already heard that the restaurant was being sold and were getting in their last licks (pun intended). In any event....

Bearstew, I recommend that you try Verjus, in Maplewood. That's where we ended up, and our dinner was excellent.

I received the following note from Mitchell and Jocelyne.

"Dear Rosie,

Before for all the rumors start why we sold ,I will tell you why we sold,

We sold at the height of our biz we were booked 4-5 weeks in advance

I was getting a little tired ( burnt )working in such a small kitchen, we gave a lot of sacrifices for this place, the day my Mother died I had to work, the birth of our grandchild we had to wait 4 weeks to see him, I was there for every meal that left that kitchen for 7.5 years. how many other chefs with a 27 zagat rating can say that.

We needed a break

we loved the place

we love Maplewood

we love Food & Wine

we loved our customers

And I think it's better to get out when you are at the top of your game. That to me is a real Artist

( we'll be back Fresh again)

thanks

Mitch"

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Guest johnh91011

It is really interesting but pretty much every restaurant in Maplewood Village has changed. Celebrated Foods has become Dasti's, American Fare is now Terra, Jocelynes has changed hands and will change its name on Oct 1, Centanni's has been sold, Carmelita's is gone (Cranes, a sandwich place has taken its place), Waterlillies has gone (Samurai Sushi replaced it).

Thank goodness for Village Trattoria, Roman Gourmet and Arturo's. Without them I might think I was in another town.

On a bright note a new diner (Parkwood) has replaced the New Sage Diner on Springfield ave. Great food and very good buzz on Maplewoodonline.com

Guest johnh91011

Hi Rosie:

I don't have any more info on Terra but the American Fare sign has been replaced by Terra.

John

It is really interesting but pretty much every restaurant in Maplewood Village has changed. Celebrated Foods has become Dasti's, American Fare is now Terra, Jocelynes has changed hands and will change its name on Oct 1, Centanni's has been sold, Carmelita's is gone (Cranes, a sandwich place has taken its place), Waterlillies has gone (Samurai Sushi replaced it).

Thank goodness for Village Trattoria, Roman Gourmet and Arturo's. Without them I might think I was in another town.

On a bright note a new diner (Parkwood) has replaced the New Sage Diner on Springfield ave. Great food and very good buzz on Maplewoodonline.com

Any more details on Dasti's? Just loved the whole way Celebrated Foods was situated, down the pedestrian path and then down some stairs to find the restaurant. Is it in the same quarters as Celebrated? What type of cuisine?

Ate at American Fare about two months after the changeover. Food was decent but nothing to rave about. Was not impressed with the staff at that time. Felt lacking in food and restaurant acumen.

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).