• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Portuguese Book

carpe

Hello,

I'm looking for a Portuguese cook book called

"Cozinha Indo-Portuguesa: Receitas da Avó" , Assírio e

Alvim, Lisboa, 1998, written by Maria Fernanda Noronha da Costa e Sousa.

It has recipies based on her Goan grandmother's

1884 family recipe collection.

Purchasing a copy of this book is very important to me personally, so if you know where I can get a copy please let me know!

Thanks!

Carpe

Hello,

Purchasing a copy of this book is very important to me personally, so if you know where I can get a copy please let me know!

Thanks!

Carpe

Hi Carpe,

In running a few Internet searches, I noticed that the correct title may be "Cozinha Indo-Portuguesa: Receitas da bisavó" (great-grandmother instead of grandmother?).

I collect international cookbooks. I usually start a search by going to Amazon and Bookfinder.com, but I don't think these sites will be useful in finding a Portuguese book from 1998. I did find what seems to be an available copy on the Brazilian site Livraria Curitiba. Here is the URL I got when I searched for the book: http://www.livrariacuritiba.com.br/?system...704488&eid=GACI

I've never used them, and I can't really tell from the website whether they ship internationally (Portuguese isn't my strongest language). I didn't have any luck with www.fnac.pt, but try them again anyway.

Since the book was published in 1998, it's most likely out of print and available only through used-book networks. Depending on good your Portuguese is, your best bet may be to correspond with booksellers in Portugal, who may be able to order the book for you. Alternatively, get in touch with the following cookbook stores, who may be able to find the book:

Kitchen Arts & Letters

1435 Lexington Avenue

New York, New York 10128

Tel: (212) 876-5550

Books for Cooks

4 Blenheim Crescent

London W11 1NN

Tel: 44-0171-221-1992/8102

Fax: 44-0171-221-1517

Librairie Gourmande

4, rue Dante

75005 Paris, France

Tel: 33-43-54-37-27

Fax: 33-43-54-31-16

The following site contains a list of other cookbook stores: http://www.bpe.com/food/chefs-corner/cookbook_stores.htm

Let me know if you're able to find the book. The title sounds very intriguing. Good luck!

Hello,

Thanks!

Carpe

If you can't find it through regular book sources. You might send an email to David Leite. David has done a lot of research on Portuguese foods and has written many articles on the subject.

If anyone would know about this book, it should be him.

David Leite's Culinaria website.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Steven!

I will try all your leads, I very much appreciate the help! (The grandmother/great grandmother referred to in the book I believe is my grandmother, the book was written by a long lost relative). I will follow up with your leads and see how it goes!

Thanks,

Carpe/Behram

Hello,

Thanks!

Carpe

Hi Carpe,

In running a few Internet searches, I noticed that the correct title may be "Cozinha Indo-Portuguesa: Receitas da bisavó" (great-grandmother instead of grandmother?).

I collect international cookbooks. I usually start a search by going to Amazon and Bookfinder.com, but I don't think these sites will be useful in finding a Portuguese book from 1998. I did find what seems to be an available copy on the Brazilian site Livraria Curitiba. Here is the URL I got when I searched for the book: http://www.livrariacuritiba.com.br/?system...704488&eid=GACI

I've never used them, and I can't really tell from the website whether they ship internationally (Portuguese isn't my strongest language). I didn't have any luck with www.fnac.pt, but try them again anyway.

Since the book was published in 1998, it's most likely out of print and available only through used-book networks. Depending on good your Portuguese is, your best bet may be to correspond with booksellers in Portugal, who may be able to order the book for you. Alternatively, get in touch with the following cookbook stores, who may be able to find the book:

Kitchen Arts & Letters

1435 Lexington Avenue

New York, New York 10128

Tel: (212) 876-5550

Books for Cooks

4 Blenheim Crescent

London W11 1NN

Tel: 44-0171-221-1992/8102

Fax: 44-0171-221-1517

Librairie Gourmande

4, rue Dante

75005 Paris, France

Tel: 33-43-54-37-27

Fax: 33-43-54-31-16

The following site contains a list of other cookbook stores: http://www.bpe.com/food/chefs-corner/cookbook_stores.htm

Let me know if you're able to find the book. The title sounds very intriguing. Good luck!

Thank you Andiesenji,

I will try contacting David Leite also.

I appreciate your help too.

Regards,

Carpe/Behram

Hello,

Thanks!

Carpe

If you can't find it through regular book sources. You might send an email to David Leite. David has done a lot of research on Portuguese foods and has written many articles on the subject.

If anyone would know about this book, it should be him.

David Leite's Culinaria website.

• 5 months later...

Dear Carpe

Have you already found the book?

If you don't I can try to check at some bookstores here in Portugal if they still have any copies.

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight