• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked Beans

Roger McShane

Made some Boston Baked Beans from an older recipe (1 kg pea beans, 250 gm salt pork, 3 Tbspn sugar, 1 Tbspn molasses, 1 1/2 tspn dry mustard). really like them but it occurs to me that I have no idea what is served with them if anything?

Smoked pork, Adam.

Chris, you can't do any better than this baked bean recipe in recipegullet. Smoked pork belly works really well in this recipe too.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 2 months later...

Is it possible to do baked beans on a stovetop? I don't have an oven, and I wanted to amke baked beans as a side for a Thanksgiving potluck I've been invited to. Has anyone tried to cook them this way? I don't have a crockpot or a pressure cooker either - I'm using a seriously challenged kitchen right now!

• 1 year later...

gallery_41378_5233_264632.jpg

Wow, I guess I get in the mood for baked beans once a year around this time. Actually I've been craving beans for a while. Usually I'm happy with canned beans, but all the shops in my area have been stocking tomato baked beans, which I don't like. I don't expect maple baked beans, like you can get in Canada, but would the odd can of molasses baked beans kill anyone?

Anyway - end run around the problem - I'll make them from scratch. Which is how I learned to cook anyway, since it was the loss of my favourite prepared foods when I moved to Asia that forced me to start making thing the better way.

I got some gorgeous pinto beans at a local market while I was at work, and when I brought them back into the office, my British co-worker had some sniffy words to say about molasses baked beans, claiming they were inferior British tomahto-based beans. How did that schism happen, anyway? I assume it had something to do with the greater availability of molasses in North America.

I don't have an oven, or even a dutch oven, so I googled stovetop methods and found this one. Worked great to cook the beans, but the sauce directions were too weak by my standards, so I doubled quantities. I didn't have any ketchup, either, so I substituted tonkatsu sauce goosed with tomato paste and some Vietnamese chili sauce.

I did not soak.