• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So now I am completely confused. Are you saying that the Pekin duck breed in North America differs from the Pekin duck breed in China?

They originated in China. The American version sometimes referred to as Long Island is the line of breediing we did here. Europe took a different breeding program path so not identical. But all China originated. The Pekin/Peking similarity between breed and dish confuses some. They are big fat brilliant white ducks and the males particularly attractive with their tail curl. It is the common breed I find here for meat. 

heidih

heidih

Yes Pekin were brought to Long Islad so combining names makes sense. 

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So now I am completely confused. Are you saying that the Pekin duck breed in North America differs from the Pekin duck breed in China?

They originated in China. The American version sometimes referred to as Long Island is the line of breediing we did here. Europe took a different breeding program path so not identical. But all China originated. The Pekin/Peking similarity between breed and dish confuses some. They are big fat brilliant white ducks and the males particularly attractive with their tail curl. It is the common breed I find here for meat. 

heidih

heidih

Yes Pekin were brought to Long Islad so combining names makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

They originated in China. The American version sometimes referred to as Long Island is the line of breediing we did here. Euorpe took a different breeding program path so not identical. But all China originated. The Pekin/Peking similarity between breed and dish confuses some. They are big fat brilliant white ducks and the males particularly attractive with their tail curl. It is the common breed I fond here for meat.