• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cola Confusion: Coke introduces "Coca Cola Zero"

jhlurie

Plus, it mixes better with alcohol, and that's important.  No cloying aftertaste to fight with the rum.

See, there's somebody who has her priorities in the right place. Kudos!

For what it's worth, I agree with kellycolorado's observation that Coke Zero tastes like European Coca-Cola Light:

I got a bottle of Coke Zero for my husband to try- I haven't had diet sodas in a few years, but it reminds me a lot of the Coca Cola light in europe we had a few years ago( in Italy and  France I believe) which was also made of a combination of diet sweeteners.  Actually I wonder if it is the same thing.  It tastes OK at first.... and then that aftertaste kicks in!

I'd have to do a head-to-head taste test to know for sure, but I've drunk a lot of Coca-Cola Light, and Coke Zero seems like a dead ringer to me.

It's sad that they disco-ed DC with Splenda... Zero has that nefarious sweetener Aspartame. Along with that, Diet 7UP just disco-ed Splenda and went back to aspartame!!!

Is aspartame cheaper, or is there another reason for these companies to prefer it?

It's sad that they disco-ed DC with Splenda...  Zero has that nefarious sweetener Aspartame.  Along with that, Diet 7UP just disco-ed Splenda and went back to aspartame!!! 

Is aspartame cheaper, or is there another reason for these companies to prefer it?

"Disco"?

Oh wait, you mean "discontinue". Nothing to do with ABBA.

Anyway, are you sure that Diet Coke with Splenda has been discontinued? I just bought a 12-pack of it yesterday.

I'm still trying to find a store locally that is stocking the new Fanta Orange Zero. We were in VA beach over the weekend and snagged some Diet-Rite Tangerine Zero for the ride home. Not bad but it's tooo subtle. I want that truly artificial-orange-in-your-face that a good orange soda provides (but without the saccharine edge that non-Splenda sweeteners seem to have).

• 1 year later...