• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poi in NYC?

GaijinGirl

Anyone know where to find Poi in NYC?  I know Waikiki Wally's won't have it, but would love to try.....!

--Janet (GG)

What is it? is it a hawaian ingredient?

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

Polynesian, not just Hawaiian. I tend to think of someone I know who lived in Ponape (now Pohnpei) for a couple of years or so. Canned sardines and poi every day. Didn't like it.

Michael aka "Pan"

Polynesian, not just Hawaiian. I tend to think of someone I know who lived in Ponape (now Pohnpei) for a couple of years or so. Canned sardines and poi every day. Didn't like it.

You have no "authentic" Hawaiian restaurants in the NYC area, so I doubt you would be able to find poi. However, you can get it via mail order in 2-days (but you have to order a minimum of 2 lbs of the stuff...and that's a lot). Then again, it's been a bad year for taro in Hawaii, so they might not be able to ship you any.

Go here: http://www.maui-info.com/2poi.html (for fresh poi)

Go here: http://commerce.secureinput.com/zippys/pro...7T7GBA73VHJ1PN8 (frozen poi)

Miulang

Poi is a euphamism for Hawaiian wallpaper paste. :)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

there is a hawaiian place on fulton st.: L&L Hawaiian Barbecue ... I haven't been yet, but seemed like the kind of place that might have poi.......YOu could call and ask: 577-8888

You should make an effort to try it especially if you enjoy other forms of taro. Most everyone acknowledges that poi is an acquired taste. I find it to be pleasantly tangy. Slightly OT but taro related: one of the more interesting recent incarnations of taro here in Hawaii has been the introduction of taro-coconut deep fried pies at McDonald's which have been on the menu at McDonald's in Asia for sometime. It appears they are testing well and people like them.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

• 2 weeks later...