• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sea bass substitutes

phaelon56

My local specialty fish vendor was out of sea bass when I recently tried to acquire some. I was making this Epicurious.com recipe for Miso Glazed Sea Bass

They advised that they won't have sea bass in stock again for about one year - possibly longer. I'm aware that there are concerns regarding the viability of the sea bass population although a number of local restaurants still feature it on their menus (or at least something that they claim is sea bass).

The fishmonger described sable as having a similar oil content and texture. It was okay but inferior to my tastes and pricey at $17 per pound. They had Orange Roughy at about $10 - $11 per pound. Might it be a better choice as a substitute for this dish or can someone recommend one?

I took a quick look at the recipe. From my experience with Orange Roughy, you might want a fish that is a little thicker, a fish that might take more beating. Halibut would be my replacement for Sea Bass in the above recipe. However, it is expensive compared to your quoted Orange Roughy price. Fresh cod could be good as well. If you go for Orange Roughy, I would adjust the recipe to account for the lack of thickness. Obtaining a well distributed 3/4 inch thick Orange Roughy fillet might be difficult. Another possibility could be Tilapia, I think it would hold better under the broiler than Orange Roughy. Nonetheless, Tilapia will be the less similar to Sea Bass. Although not that easy to find in American Markets, Hake could be a good choice.

Anyway, IMO you will do well with any fish above. Good luck.

Alex

Salmon works really well with Miso Glaze.  Also works well being miso marinated.  Try Black Cod (Nobu's signature), but it's difficult to find.

The black cod in that recipe is the same as sablefish,* I think. Anyway, it works very well with sablefish.

*At my Japanese market, they sell "black cod" in miso sauce and that is certainly sablefish.

the restaurant that I work at uses Branzini--italian sea bass-in it's dishes.. I, personally, have never used it, but perhaps someone on here could provide more info on it.

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

If you can get black cod do that. Both the Epicurious and Nobu Matsuhisa recipes are based off of a Japanese staple recipe. Every housewife in Japan makes this dish and it's nothing earth shattering; essentially any firm, dense fish works.

For that type of recipe you can substitute any type of "Snapper, Grouper, Striped Bass, Ling Cod, Walleye, Sauger", or similar types of fish with White Firm Flesh.

You may find that "Sable" or "Black Cod" may be oily, even though its very tasty.

"Branzini" is often more expensive "Aqua Cultured Sea Bass", and not better then any species I mentioned except for Walleye can be excellent and available from the Great Lakes closer to your location.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

If by sea bass you mean Chilean Sea Bass aka Patagonian Toothfish then Black Cod aka Sablefish is in my opinion the best substitute, especially in a miso-glazed recipe. You will find, if you look at a few dozen miso-glazed fish recipes, that Chilean Sea Bass and Black Cod are the fish called for most frequently. In that application I would consider them to be interchangeable.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

If by sea bass you mean Chilean Sea Bass aka Patagonian Toothfish then Black Cod aka Sable fish is in my opinion the best substitute, especially in a miso-glazed recipe. You will find, if you look at a few dozen miso-glazed fish recipes, that Chilean Sea Bass and Black Cod are the fish called for most frequently. In that application I would consider them to be interchangeable.

I thought that the "Chilean Seabass" was not being served in Restaurants since it is in such short supply. I haven't noticed it on menus in Seattle Restaurants or Retailers recently.

If it's a recipe that requires a oily rich fish the "Nile Perch", "Cobia" if any are available "Jew Fish", Sturgeon" or "Opah" could also be substituted.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

If by sea bass you mean Chilean Sea Bass aka Patagonian Toothfish then Black Cod aka Sablefish is in my opinion the best substitute, especially in a miso-glazed recipe. You will find, if you look at a few dozen miso-glazed fish recipes, that Chilean Sea Bass and Black Cod are the fish called for most frequently. In that application I would consider them to be interchangeable.

I would consider the two fish to be culinarily interchangeable too, if only in the past tense. That's because only the sablefish remains a sustainable resource.

From the time various species of South American toothfish (primarily Patagonian), were rebranded as the more palatable 'Chilean Sea Bass' (a Häagen-Daazian name), its demise was largely dealt. That was abetted by its buttery flesh and forgiving nature; even in the most inexpert hands, its gummable fillets were difficult to screw up and 'held' well. Portion control alert: By the early 90's the rubber chicken circuit was simultaneously being rebranded too. Orange roughy was also rapaciously overfished in the last two decades of the last century.

Lightly smoked sablefish is delightful with a miso glaze; it can be temepered with maple syrup. Chilean sea bass and orange roughy are now--fortunately--only seen on the menus of the truly ignorant.

Those chefs should glaze them simply with bliss.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I thought that the "Chilean Seabass" was not being served in Restaurants since it is in such short supply. I haven't noticed it on menus in Seattle Restaurants or Retailers recently.

Irwin

Irwin,

'Chilean sea bass', although commercially extinct, rather unbelievably can still be occasionally spotted at fishmongers and on vestigial menus. So I think the reason responsible vendors have stopped selling it has a lot to do with conscience, although it also begs the question as to what is now actually being sold under its brand.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

The dish in quesiton is in fact a miso marinade but develops a lovely glaze when broiled. I found the glaze to develop better on the sea bass and the pieces held up better as well. To me it had a somewhat similar texture but the filets were much oilier and not as thick.

I will try it with salmon and also - Irwin - thanks for the walleye suggestion. I can definitely get walleye during the summer months in this area if I ask around among friends who fish.

Interesting to note that the local restaurants that still feature "sea bass" no longer use the word Chilean. It does prompt me to wonder exactly what it is they're serving.

But don't get me started on the local fried fish place that uses any number of different "flaky white mild fish" as a substitute for haddock in their fish fries. Haddock it ain't and the taste is not similar to me - or should I say the lack of flavor causes it to be easily distinguished from haddock?