• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Little Rock

The Little Rock Arkansas Democrat Gazette apparently recommends

Alouette's

Capers

Spaule

Star of India

The only Arkansas restaurant I can personally vouch for isn't in Little Rock, but in Johnson, just south of Fayetteville. It's called James at the Mill.

Deacon's list are good choices; are there any particular kinds of food you're interested in?

A number of restaurants have web sites:

Spaule

Alouette's

Capers

Vermillion Bistro

There are also a number of respectable barbeque joints and a large number of Mexican restaurants. What do you like? I can give you more detailed info when I'm at home and have more time.

Sure here it is, THANK YOU!

mikey

Group: Members

Bolivar-

All the previously listed places will have seafood of some sort on the menu. The only "seafood restaurant" I can steer you towards is Anderson's Cajun Wharf; we haven't eaten there in some time. The main thing to remember about seafood here is that the population of the Little Rock area is only about 250,.000, and we are about 350 miles from the Gulf. There are any number of places serving our native seafood: catfish(fried, of course). When I eat barbeque, it's at the Whole Hog Cafe or Corky's(a franchise of the Memphis restaurant). As far as cigar-friendly, I can only steer you toward somewhere that offers outdoor dining: Capers, Brave New Restaurant, Casa Manana; there are some others that do not come to mind. I have a limited basis for comparison, but I have always enjoyed Star of India(Indian, obviously).

Will you be travelling outside of Little Rock? Hot Springs(60 miles away) has some pretty good restaurants, but I can't speak from experience.

Other well-regarded restaurants:

Restaurant 1620

Andre's

Doe's Eat Place(a favorite of campaign workers and press during the 1992 presidential campaign; known for large steaks in a seedy atmosphere)

If you want to look at some only slightly critical capsules, check the Arkansas Times.

Please post something about your experiences here after your visit.  Will do

mikey, thanks again.  Good suggestions.  I grew up across the river in Greenville, Mississippi, home of Doe Signa and the original Doe's Eat Place, and the original Catfish Farmer.  Long before the presidential campaign, "Slick Willy" used to come over to the original Doe's to eat. :biggrin:

• 9 months later...

I am in Little Rock this week until Thursday to be with my father while he undergoes surgery. I am wondering if any eGulleters can provide some tips on where to eat. We will be staying near the University of Arkansas medical center.

Any help is much appreciated!

I am in Little Rock this week until Thursday to be with my father while he undergoes surgery.  I am wondering if any eGulleters can provide some tips on where to eat.  We will be staying near the University of Arkansas medical center. 

Any help is much appreciated!

Good Luck there Ron,

You may want to hit Sekisui.

Edited by Rosie

Barbecue:

Whole Hog Cafe, Corky's, Sims

Mexican:

Casa Manana

Steak:

Riverfront Steakhouse, Doe's

Italian:(not worth your time)

Chinese:

Nothing outstanding; (Chi's has added dim sum @ lunch, but haven't tried)

Japanese:

Mount Fuji, Igibon

Seafood:(in a middle-America sort of way):

Cajun's Wharf; (if you go to the Rivermarket area, Flying Fish has pretty good fried stuff)

Others(more upscale):

Spaule, Capers, Trio's, Vermillion Bistro, Brave New Restaurant, 1620, Cheers(Heights)

Lunch near UAMS:

Jimmy's Serious Sandwiches, Oyster Bar, Pizza d'Action, Buffalo Grill, Whole Hog Cafe

If you have questions about any particular restaurant or type of restaurant, let me know, here or by PM.

Look here too.

Edited by mikey (log)

Barbecue:

Whole Hog Cafe, Corky's, Sims

Mexican:

Casa Manana

Steak:

Riverfront Steakhouse, Doe's

Italian:(not worth your time)

Chinese:

Nothing outstanding; (Chi's has added dim sum @ lunch, but haven't tried)

Japanese:

Mount Fuji, Igibon

Seafood:(in a middle-America sort of way):

Cajun's Wharf; (if you go to the Rivermarket area, Flying Fish has pretty good fried stuff)

Others(more upscale):

Spaule, Capers, Trio's, Vermillion Bistro, Brave New Restaurant, 1620, Cheers(Heights)

Lunch near UAMS:

Jimmy's Serious Sandwiches, Oyster Bar, Pizza d'Action, Buffalo Grill, Whole Hog Cafe

I heard Bill Clinton used to goto these places...for lunch on Fridays... :smile:

Bill%20Clinton.jpg

Edited by awbrig (log)

• 8 months later...

I will most likely be in Little Rock Arkansas for my birthday weekend. Hoping to have a really good ethnic meal one night and a more upscale birthday dinner the other. Will be in Hot Springs on one of the two nights (can be either). The ethnic could just be good BQ or good soul food - doesn't have to be Thai, Viet or the like.

Noticed there's no forum section that lists Arkansas and I have been given the impression that chain restaurants rule in that area. Even a search on citysearch (which seems to be offering fewer and fewer worthwhile results on the rare times that I still use it) shows..... apparently not much to choose from. Suggestions anyone?

I'll be there from the evening of Jan 15 throght the afternoon of the 18th. Saturday the 17th is the big day.....

Any thoughts appreciated - open to all suggestions. The friend I'm visiting has lived there for awhile and is open minded re/food but has probably not explored the little hole-in-the-wall and out of the way places.

OK, sorry, it's a couple of nights..

Here's one list to peruse Arkansas Dining; it won't set any standards for food journalism, but it's a starting point. I don't have a great deal of experience with Hot Springs restaurants, but I do recommend McClard's Barbecue-but I can only speak for the "Ribs & Fries"(the only thing I ever order). Think oval diner plate with a base of about 1/2 rack of ribs, completely covered with a mound of fresh french fries. It comes with an empty plate to off-load the fries to get to the ribs. If you get this, order the ribs without sauce; they tend to be a little heavy-handed.

For barbecue in Little Rock, I'm a fan of the

(Yes, I know there's something counter-intuitive about baarbecue joints with web sites, but it's a brave new world)

Whole Hog Cafe. There is a Corky's here, but I usually have a burger or catfish when we eat there.

Doe's in Little Rock offers big-buck steaks in surroundings that make most 'cue shacks look upscale.

Star of India is the only Indian restaurant, but respectable, in my limited experience.

For relatively upscale dining: 1620, Vermillion Bistro, Ristorante Capeo(Italian), Brave New Restaurante, Acadia.

There are lots of Mexican restuarants-in a mainstream sort of way-but my favorites are Casa Manana and La Palapa (same ownership)

Vietnamese- Vanlang. Again, good food; I just don't have a frame of reference for what quality of Vietnamese food.

Steakhouses- Riverfront Steakhouse, Sonny Williams Steak Room

Lots of catfish houses, everyone has a different favorite.

Seafood on the river, Cajun's Wharf

If you have a chance, stop by Boulevard Bread Company, for artisinal bread and panini-esque sandwiches

I'm sure I've overlooked any number of restaurants.(and by the way, I only mentioned one chain-Corky's)

If you have any questions, or are looking for anything specific, ask away.

• 2 weeks later...

Mikey's post covers most of the bases but I'll add some additional local color and flavor:

Little Rock

Ethnic:

Note: Coming from New York, I can't imagine any Arkansas ethic restaurant in the conventional sense (Thai, Indian, etc.) comparing favorably, so I agree you should likely avoid that type. Barbecue is a better bet.

Sim's Barbeque (33rd and High St.) is a classic hole-in-the-wall barbecue joint. Great ribs and pork in a vinegary-mustard sauce that's unusual for these parts. Ambiance: beer (and much malt liquor) served in quart bottles in an authentic joint. Great for lunch. I've not dared go there after dark. Whole Hog Cafe (mentioned elsewhere) is great food but in a strip mall; Sim's experience may be more what you're looking for.

David's Soul Food (S. Broadway) is not that well known but has good soul food. About to be discovered as FoodTV's "Best Of" recently filmed a bit on it for airing later.

Your Mama's Good Food (downtown, lunch only) is cafeteria style but great meat loaf and wonderful homemade rolls as big as your fist.

Upscale:

1620 is probably your best bet for a white table cloth, up-scale dining in Little Rock.

Hot Springs

Upscale

Chef Paul's. Don't let the discount strip mall fool you. Some really wonderful, fine dining here. Chef/owner is a transplanted from New York (Albany?), which might be of interest to you.

Horseshoe Vineyard. I have reservations for next month but haven't tried though hearing absolute raves. Chef is young guy from Arkansas who worked in San Francisco for years (most recently at Cafe Tiramisu). It's really about 15 miles outside Hot Springs but worth the drive from Little Rock I hear.

Ethnic

McClard's Barbecue is almost universally loved. Place is largely preserved from 50's as are several waitresses, but I personally think Sims or Whole Hog in Little Rock is better.

Cafe Santa Clare. Small, funky place in an old house. Family run. More of a South American Latin style than Mexican. We enjoy it a lot.

• 2 years later...

Recently, a friend of mine told me that he could not locate any information on eGullet on what the food is like in the city of Little Rock, Arkansas. He will be there on business and likes to dine in nicer restaurants.

If you either live in or visit there, could you pass on your advice on this? Many thanks on behalf of my friend, Michael!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 1 month later...

Headed to Little Rock for work for a few days where I'll be wined and dined, and am wondering what my prospects are. Other are picking the restaurants, but was interested in hearing where you'd take out of town business visitors if you were doing the entertaining.

Can you pee in the ocean?

• 2 weeks later...

Feedback on my trip to Little Rock...

First meal was dinner at Bosco's, a brew pub located right on the Arkansas River. Great outside dining area, which is important to know because it's the best thing about this place. Or at least it was the night I was there.

I had a salad that featured partially frozen lettuce and a pizza that I won't even bother to describe apart from saying that it had none of the qualities that a person looks for in pizza. The beer was okay.

Thing improved enormously the next day, when we ended up eating lunch at a place called Vieux Carre (no web site that I can find). On Kavanaugh, next to a bar called The Afterthought (that's being remodeled at the moment---apparently it's been around for a very long time) with which it shares owners. Storefrong location, decor runs to yellows, white linens, a bit "ladies who lunch." In keeping with that impression I had the chicken salad plate, and it was one of the best version of same I've had in recent memory. I'm just sorry we didn't have time for dessert.

Dinner that night at So. Again, no web site, or at least none that I could find (though admittedly "so" does not lend itself to narrow google searches). Storefront space, decor somewhere between trendo and old-fashioned bar. We were seated in the front room, which is lighter than the rest of the place. It was warmer than usual, so the ceiling fans and air conditioning weren't quite managing to keep the temperature cool enough for the consumption of hot foods, so I started with shrimp cocktail, continued with something called patio salad (stacked tomato, mango, avocado, and fresh mozzarella, topped with lobster; excellent), and finished with a dessert called quattro leches (why quattro? maybe the fourth dairy ingredient was mascarpone? I didn't pay sufficient attention). Actually quite a good version of this dessert.

Lunch the next day at an outpost of Boulevard Bread Co. Great sandwichs, including mine of fresh mozzarella, tomato, and pesto on baguette (and I'd have gone back and ordered a second if I'd been paying). Aranciata to drink. My macchiato afterwards was too foamy, but nothing in life is perfect.

General impression of Little Rock very favorable: the river front's being developed in a pedestrian-friendly way, pleasant hillside neighborhoods feature nice residential-commercial mix, plenty of kids, plenty of yuppies, plenty of seniors.

• 4 weeks later...

Second visit to Little Rock last week, and we managed to check out several restaurants as well as the River Market.

Little Rock has put considerable effort into developing the downtown/waterfront area over the last decade, and the recent opening of the William J. Clinton Presidential Library and Museum is bringing lots of tourists to town.

Both locals and tourists crowd a place called Flying Fish. You line up to order from a long list of seafood like fried catfish and boiled shrimp and crayfish and take your seat. Big place, with large windows open to the street in nice weather (which it very definitely was while we were there). I didn't manage to eat here, but my husband and daughter did and they both enjoyed it.

We all had dinner together one night at a place located west of downtown but still on the river called Brave New Restaurant. Really lovely location, with a terrace that offers lovely views of the river and downtown. The chef/owner, Peter Brave, is also part owner of a local shrimp farm, Brave New Shrimp, and I started with a shrimp, avocado, and grapefruit appetizer that was excellent. My main was veal scallopini with lime and potato pancake---very good, particularly the pancake, but I couldn't even begin to finish it. I did save room for some excellent home-made (well, restaurant-made) sorbets, strawberry and honeydew. I also tried some of my husband's vanilla ice cream, which was outstanding. Very dense, just like we make it at home in the summer.