• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

Yea, often comes down to laziness and whether the wine is worth washing stems over.  The stemless are also great for water, soda, beer and cocktails.  Maybe a psychological aspect too. I don't have the same expectations of the wine because they remind me of the vin de table water glasses than the stems.   

As for Schiller's, what a great place and time for that area.  I drank a lot of wine from  those cups. Thanks for sparking.

But even for water, soda, beer, et al. I find that I have trouble holding stemless wine glasses...they're just clunky in my hands.

Sometimes the wine glasses (with stems) go in the dishwasher; other times no. That all depends on what else is in there and if they'll fit into the load.

I miss Schiller's greatly, especially its early days. They had a fantastic host, like the best host in the whole city; he could fit seven models at a 4 top. Gorgeous crowd (early days, once again), gorgeous girls and boys working as well. Just about perfect, as you mention, for its time and place. Keith was nothing if not groundbreaking. 

weinoo

weinoo

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

Yea, often comes down to laziness and whether the wine is worth washing stems over.  The stemless are also great for water, soda, beer and cocktails.  Maybe a psychological aspect too. I don't have the same expectations of the wine because they remind me of the vin de table water glasses than the stems.   

As for Schiller's, what a great place and time for that area.  I drank a lot of wine from  those cups. Thanks for sparking.

But even for water, soda, beer, et al. I find that I have trouble holding stemless wine glasses...they're just clunky in my hands.

Sometimes the wine glasses (with stems) go in the dishwasher; other times no. That all depends on what else is in there and if they'll fit into the load.

I miss Schiller's greatly, especially its early days. They had a fantastic host, like the best host in the whole city; he could fit seven models at a 4 top. Gorgeous crowd (early days, once again), gorgeous girls and boys working as well. Just about perfec, as you mention, t for its time and place. Keith was nothing if not groundbreaking.