• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

Bread flour is not great for pancakes.  Don't overmix the batter. Let it rest after mixing for a good 30 minutes.

My last batch came out quite nicely...

986660950_Pancakebreakfast03-19-22.thumb.jpeg.2a2a285011f5190588af90f24b2fe28f.jpeg

I use a recipe very close to this one...but I cut back a bit on the baking soda.

Of course, Kenji weights in too. I like his recipe except I don't go through the trouble of separating the eggs.

Gotta use both baking powder and soda if using buttermilk for pancakes. Or kefir. Or yogurt. Or sour cream.

weinoo

weinoo

Bread flour is not great for pancakes.  Don't overmix the batter. Let it rest after mixing for a good 30 minutes.

My last batch came out quite nicely...

986660950_Pancakebreakfast03-19-22.thumb.jpeg.2a2a285011f5190588af90f24b2fe28f.jpeg

I use a recipe very close to this one...but I cut back a bit on the baking soda.

Of course, Kenji weights in too. I like his recipe except I don't go through the trouble of separating the eggs.

Gotta use both baking powder and soda if making buttermilk pancakes. Or kefir. Or yogurt. Or sour cream.