• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Some great new ice cream machines

tan319

I am happy to see that the Lello 2-quart is finally available here for a reasonable price.

I have had the little one for a couple of years and another larger one.

I had a Simac for many years but it got to the point that it would not hold the coolant for more than a couple of months and recharging it was a nuisance.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

That's great news. I have been looking for a new one to upgrade from the Cuisinart in time for the summer peach ice cream season.

But that link leaves me with one question:

What the hell is an electric ice cream scoop? Is it somehow heated? (this MIGHT make sense. Maybe) Or is it mechanical in some way. (this would be stupid, IMO)

Anybody know?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

i recently bought a compressor ice cream maker -- the musso lussino.

my SO and i were able to swing it by combining our various birthday and christmas amazon gift certificates, and splitting the cost between us.

it gets +really+ cold. ice cream and sorbet seem to take between 30-40 minutes (we haven't prechilled ingredients). pretty effortless, except for various prepping depending on the recipie (for example, if you have to peel and cook butternut squash).

it's as sturdy as all heck. cleaning is slightly difficult, as the bowl does not remove from the unit, and because the thing "keeps its cold," it's harder to swipe out the ice cream residue (i found cleaning up after sorbets easier).

my SO was a little dismayed by this, and wanted to return it and get a different machine that had a removeable bowl. he brought home the cuisinart from williams sonoma, but we never even got to try it, as something was amiss with the unit, and the bottom was literally falling off and something (i assume coolant) was leaking out of it.

i'm pretty happy with it, 'tho if the bowl were removeble for cleaning, that would improve it.

best thing made so far -- chocolate sorbet made with scharffenberger cocoa. unbelievable chocolate taste.

cheers :)

hc