• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Dining

PaulaJ

I will be in Paris for the first 11 days in April. I have been many times myself (I lived in Paris for a few years and speak pretty fluent French) but I am going to be traveling with my gf who has never been.

Here's what I have planned and acquired reservations for so far:

Lunch - Taillevent

Lunch - Pierre Gaignaire

Dinner - Guy Savoy

Dinner - L'Astrance

I am looking for suggestions of lunch vs dinner and these places as well as some other suggestions. Basically I love tasty food, not too much else matters. I want to hit at least 2-3 three-star places since my gf has never been to one... Oh, and I also want some good bang-for-the-buck since I'll be paying for her as well and normally I eat free or just pay for myself... I have alloted about $1,500-$2,000 for fine dining for this trip.

Suggestions/Comments/Criticisms are all welcome. Please let me know if I left out anything that will help you give me advice. I have been reading many of the posts here for a few weeks and think there is a wealth of knowledge among the users of this group and I'm thrilled to be a member and begin posting.

Cheers!

"Compared to me... you're as helpless as a worm fighting an eagle"

BackwardsHat.com

Welcome Backwards Hat. Nice going in getting that l'Astrance reservation. I understand dinner is particularly hard to get. I imagine the restaurant, the food and the prices have changed somewhat since we've been there and I'd like to hear your reaction--whether you've been there beofre or not. My guess is that those four places will shoot your fine dining budget. You don't mention your dining experiences in Paris or if you've been at those places. I've found Gagnaire very exciting and rewarding. It's fascinating food, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that some people whose tastes I really respect, were not pleased.

You know your girfriend's taste better than we do, so it's hard to make many recommendations. I'm going to suggest you check out recent threads on Paris, although it sounds as if you already have, as many of us may be talked out on the subject unless we're provoked by special requests or questions.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thanks Bux... I will definitely post a full review of the restaurants (including L'Astrance) when I get back... I will have my laptop with me so I may even post while over there if I get in the mood to write....

I have never been to any of the places I am planning on visiting... In fact, most of my time spent in Paris was earlier in my life before I was able to afford eating anywhere else other than a streetside cafe... So I basically ate with the locals most of the time...

I will check out some more postings and then post a few questions here or in the respective threads... I'm sure you guys have talked most of what I need to know to death, so I'll try and keep my questions specific...

My most directed question are basically Lunch vs. Dinner at these places. I know some have great lunch menus, but basically I am looking for what to avoid. (e.g. - "Don't do lunch at Guy Savoy, you will pay the same price and not enjoy the full show")... <-- Something like that, you know?

"Compared to me... you're as helpless as a worm fighting an eagle"

BackwardsHat.com

To a great extent lunch vs. dinner is a personal preference. I find lunch very relaxing, but I feel the French tend to reserve dinner as the important meal and you'll find business discussions and tourists may be more prevalent in the afternoon. I don't really have enough experience to say. The only thing I'll add is the caution I've raised before on eGullet. Sometimes the bargain prix fixe lunch is less of a bargain that it appears. Sometimes it's a real loss leader, but at other times it's just there to fill the tables with clients they assume want the trappings of a fine restaurant without the food that made the chef famous. If you order a la carte, you should get the same food at about the same price as dinner. I suspect lunch at l'Astrance will be the equal of dinner. Just a suspicion based on the small size of the restaurant and the youth and dedication of the chef.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.