• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Restaurants

My husband and I frequent the Brooklyn, mainly during oyster season for beauties on the half shell. I've eaten dinner there a few times and it's always been good and reliable but it's not 'exciting', they are doing fish and meat well. No reason not to recommend them other than there are so many restaurants doing something a bit cutting edge maybe?

Thanks alot for all the suggestions, I will most definitely check out Union and Cascadia. And I will take a chance and go to Lark, it sounds way too good to pass up. Just out of curiousity, not too many people mentioned much about Brasa, is there a particular reason? I thought it was one of the top restaurants in the city.

***I can only say that I've been to Brasa three times (once was an organized Cooks/Books Dinner) and the other two times just regular full-on dinners.

Great food/service on all visits.

Why is Brooklyn not in this list? Thought the food was really good. Had my best meal for the week in August last year after an Alaskan cruise.  Or were my taste buds shot after a week of cruise liner food?

Cirilo

Not to offend, but to me the Brooklyn has a 'good 'ol boys country club' presentation style to its dishes. Sauces are heavy, too much starch (and it always seems to be pureed or mashed), overcooked, out-of-season vegetables...

That said I have dinner there about once a month. :laugh:

The duck is always nicely done and their fish is fresh and seasonal.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Returned from Seattle on the red-eye this morning after a lovely weekend of rain (intermittent) and food (incredible.)

Coastal Kitchen for Saturday brunch. Cool, carefree, a little artsy. Brunch fare with an emphasis on the Italian. I had these wonderful crespelles (thin pancakes) with mascarpone and carmelized apples. Boyfriend enjoyed a proscuitto scramble with delicious garlic potatoes. Really excellent fare, and under $10 a plate.

Dahlia Lounge for Saturday dinner. Delightful. Great apps: potstickers, crab cake, fried blue cheese. I was a little concerned that the carrot and ricotta ravioli would be too sweet but it was nice and delicate, more carroty than cheesy, with a delicious carmelized fennel bit on top. Boyfriend's lamb was tender and flavorful. Pear tart for dessert was too heavy on the caramel sauce and when the yogurt cake with rhubarb sorbet came to the table, we were surprised to note that the serving of sorbet was about twice the size of the cake, which was teeny. Still, very nice meal. Spent most of the next day thinking about that ravioli.

Cafe Campagne for Sunday brunch. Delicious lamb burger and great garlic aioli served with the accompanying fries, but all in all, probably not a place I'd recommend. Boyfriend had some kind of omelette. Extremely French, down to the indifferent service.

Lark for Sunday dinner. GO go go go to Lark. It was wonderful. The atmosphere is very simple and open, and there was not a bite I took that I didn't love. (Okay, I burned my mouth on the first bite of rhubarb crisp, but that's not their fault.) Two glasses of wine, three kinds of cheese with olives, almonds, and quince jelly, four small plates, and two desserts only set us back around $100. And we were very full. The waiter joked that it was like we were having a very fancy picnic -- after the cheese (marinated chevre, Chimay-washed, and Sally Jackson) and accompaniments, we had baby artichokes, beef sausage with mustards, and smoked proscuitto with onions. The only hot dish was pork belly with grits and spinach. Finished up with really wonderful desserts, both waitstaff recommendations: lemon parfait and rhubarb crisp with buttermilk ice cream. There was no wait when we arrived Sunday night at 5:45, and by the time we left after 7pm there were still empty tables.

Has anyone been to Ray's Seafood? We had a reservation there but cancelled it for Lark, which was closer to the hotel. And thank goodness we did. But I'm curious about the place for the next trip.

Edited by jm chen (log)

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media