• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Interiors

mjr_inthegardens

I saw this site linked from Curbed and thought many of us would enjoy some artistic shots of NY restaurants:

http://www.noahkalina.com/interiors/about.html

cheers

-MJR

Edited by mjr_inthegardens (log)

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

Cool site.Here is a link that will take you directly to the photos. There really are some amazing restaurant spaces in NYC. Interestingly, most of the restaurants were unknown to me. Some that I am familiar with were made more appealing by the photos.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Might we get some nominations here for best restaurant interior description? There's a place in San Francisco (Farallon) that I've seen described as "Captain Nemo On Acid" decor. And yes.... that's what it really looks like.

So what's the trippiest and wildest looking restaurant interior in NYC?

The coolest interior I have seen is Kittichai on Thompson Street in Soho. It is absolutely beautiful. I did not see it in the collection linked to above. I have yet to eat at the restaurant, although I would like to. I hear the food is good.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I also loved the old Union Pacific space. the food wasn't too bad there either in Rocco's heyday.

Twitter - @docsconz

The coolest interior I have seen is Kittichai on Thompson Street in Soho. It is absolutely beautiful. I did not see it in the collection linked to above. I have yet to eat at the restaurant, although I would like to. I hear the food is good.

I had dinner at kittichai about 2 weeks ago.

Very nice if a little dear.

I had crispy duck dish (not on the menupages menu).

I would avoid the chocolate ribs appetizer -- too much sweetness, not enough savory reward. The lollipop chicken was excellent.

My three "mini-creme brulee" dessert was divine -- the ginger infused brulee was my fave.

As far as the decor -- very nice -- lots of nicely lit raw silk panels and dark wood.

-MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA