• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Wendy DeBord - Dessert, the most important meal.

Way back when I worked in my mom's bakery we used the plastic garment bags that just fit around the big mixer and the top, where the hanger would go, would be secured to the top of the mixer with a cow magnet.  it was split front and back and held together in the front of the bowl with a spring-type clothes pin.  The heavy plastic was washable and we used the steamer to sterilize them.

The beauty of the garbage bag is how dirt cheap they are. Use it once and pitch it, plus earily in the day you can use it to double line your garbage pail. I use plastic wrap/saran wrap over my smaller mixers and the one that has a shield..........that's lovely cause it contains the mess better then open mixers, even though it's challenging to work with.

Are my eyes deceiving me, or are there also a couple of thin white wires coming off of every one of those bunnies? (Do they make the bunnies' eyes light up? :biggrin: )

Actually it's hard to see in the photos I chose, but the wires are supporting gum paste butterflies...........they are suposed to be flying around the bunnies. I put the butterflies all thru the buffet. Those are the only wires.

Are my eyes deceiving me, or are there also a couple of thin white wires coming off of every one of those bunnies? (Do they make the bunnies' eyes light up? :biggrin: )

Actually it's hard to see in the photos I chose, but the wires are supporting gum paste butterflies...........they are suposed to be flying around the bunnies. I put the butterflies all thru the buffet. Those are the only wires.

D'OH! :blush: Okay, now that you've pointed them out, I can see the butterflies. Yes, it's the Cock-eyed Duck once again misinterpreting photographic information! :laugh:

Edited by mizducky (log)

I have a question about freezing your desserts. Do you wrap everything...only some things...or does it depend on how long you'll store it? The reason I ask is because at school, I always see a bunch of totally unwrapped components or finished desserts (some even with a slice or two out of them) just naked in the freezer, right next to frozen stocks and anything else. I think that's insane, but it must be what they'll be teaching us in class next semester.

And on your key lime cake, are you using plain old whipped cream, stabilize or is it something else? Those strawberries are getting held up quite nicely.

All your a la cartes look amazing.

I had a little extra time before I fall asleep tonight so heres a couple random photos from a seafood night we recently had.

The room was really this dark and it was sort of romantic. The sandcastle is all cake.

gallery_8093_3_89580.jpg

Peppermint meringue cookies piped like lobsters. I made white chocolate sea shells and dusted with with luster dust:

gallery_8093_3_130044.jpg

I brought in plates I own for this buffet.......so don't go thinking we own anything decent at work. The fun thing about this dessert is I made fish candies out of sugar using an antique mold I own and so it was fish swimming around in the flan syrup:

gallery_8093_3_69966.jpg

The blue bubble sugar garnish doesn't show well in this photo, sorry. I've just been randomly picking out photos to upload. I wish I had more time then I'd choose better shots and items. But I'd be happy to post more photos and talk more in depth about anything you see in my blog, later in the Pastry & Baking Forum.

gallery_8093_3_766191.jpg

Thanks for letting me share. I hope you'll come back tomarrow. Good night.

Hi. I'm running late this morning but I'll post some photos quickly in hopes to keep you interested.........

Breakfast was exactly the same fake cappiccino in the same red plastic mug in my first post to this thread. It's not very exciting, sorry..........but the mug was fresh and clean.

I certainly tasted and had some of every following item. These are just random photos I had in my computor.......a couple are cropped but most of them are unedited and I wish I did have time to sort thru and give you better shots..........but.........

gallery_8093_3_5746.jpg

gallery_8093_3_34758.jpg

gallery_8093_3_32044.jpg

gallery_8093_3_8370.jpg

gallery_8093_3_56246.jpg

gallery_8093_3_19432.jpg

gallery_8093_3_14296.jpg

gallery_8093_3_19536.jpg

gallery_8093_3_26136.jpg

gallery_8093_3_32947.jpg

gallery_8093_3_18860.jpg

gallery_8093_3_11791.jpg

gallery_8093_3_38315.jpg

gallery_8093_3_31263.jpg

gallery_8093_3_25007.jpg

gallery_8093_3_8752.jpg

gallery_8093_3_61114.jpg

gallery_8093_3_51541.jpg

gallery_8093_3_21106.jpg

gallery_8093_3_50059.jpg

gallery_8093_3_26354.jpg

gallery_8093_3_35733.jpg

gallery_8093_3_5900.jpg

I have a question about freezing your desserts. Do you wrap everything...only some things...or does it depend on how long you'll store it? The reason I ask is because at school, I always see a bunch of totally unwrapped components or finished desserts (some even with a slice or two out of them) just naked in the freezer, right next to frozen stocks and anything else. I think that's insane, but it must be what they'll be teaching us in class next semester.

And on your key lime cake, are you using plain old whipped cream, stabilize or is it something else? Those strawberries are getting held up quite nicely.

All your a la cartes look amazing.

Usually I freeze unwrapped because the plastic crushes your work. Then as soon as it's frozen I wrap them. I like to use large plastic bags we have, I can get things pretty air tight with those.

I never stablize my whipped cream.....it's just normal. I'm always confused about this issue because I get asked about often. If you whip your cream long enough so it's firm, it will hold up for several days perfectly.

Thank-you Kevin.

No one else has any questions or thoughts.........am I boring you?

Are there a lot of kids named Gavin at your club, or was that a first then second (the Barney cake) birthday parties?

I love the whimsy of the white wedding cake with the writing on it. Who's idea was that, yours or the bride's? What are some of the words on it?

Great stuff Wendy! :biggrin:

I have much respect for fellow pastry chefs who are willing to share their ideas and desserts to others. ( I know of too many who don't and won't do that ).

A question about your books. I see that you have Balaguer's and Herme's, but do you also have Bau's? And if so , out of those 3 , which would you recommend the most for a pastry chef whose interests are mainly plated desserts?

You also get much kudos from me for the inventiveness. I am somewhat in the same boat as you, as the stuff I make here at work is not exactly what I would be ideally doing, so I am generally not to motivated to do new stuff, but by golly you sure are! I love the creativeness that you have, I only wish I had 1/2 the talent ( or patience - I am a very impatient person ) that you have to create such ingenious desserts.

Again , great stuff and I can't wait to see the next installment of the Wendy DeBord blog :biggrin: !

Take care,

Jason

Boring? no, I think maybe everyone else is sitting here, mouth agape, like me!

... totally in that camp! I am floored by your creations and whim. That club is unbelievably lucky to have you there. Thank you for sharing your work with us Wendy! :wub:

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Way back when I worked in my mom's bakery we used the plastic garment bags that just fit around the big mixer and the top, where the hanger would go, would be secured to the top of the mixer with a cow magnet.  it was split front and back and held together in the front of the bowl with a spring-type clothes pin.  The heavy plastic was washable and we used the steamer to sterilize them.

The beauty of the garbage bag is how dirt cheap they are. Use it once and pitch it, plus earily in the day you can use it to double line your garbage pail. I use plastic wrap/saran wrap over my smaller mixers and the one that has a shield..........that's lovely cause it contains the mess better then open mixers, even though it's challenging to work with.

The time I am talking about is back in the 50s, before there were plastic garbage bags.

We saw a baker at one of the baking shows we attended using the garment bags and thought "How Great is That!" and immediately bought some. The only plastic bags were the very thing ones that cleaners put over garments and that stuff was too fragile.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Keep the random pictures coming. They're amazing and show an unbelievable depth to your talents.

About what percentage of your work goes to your amazing sweet tables and specialty cakes? You say you do boring stuff at work, but I'm having a hard time believing that with the last few rounds of pictures. Are these all relatively recent, meaning at the club you're with now?

And I'm still amazed about the whip cream. I saved a note of yours from a while back about how you whip your cream. I must dig that up and practice. I've gotten better, but I still water out fairly quickly.

I always wonder how much practice goes into pieces and how much product is wasted learning to make a handbag shaped cheescake or a bunny cake, for instance. I've been working with my sons' playdough to learn how to build shapes out of chocolate and chocolate clay because I don't want to waste the chocolate. So, how much is inherent talent and how much is learned through practice, trial, and error?

wow wendy what an amazing blog!

those handbags are just gorgeous. they're covered with fondant, right? do people eat that, or scrape the cake out? if you have a fondant covered cake for a wedding/event - do you serve it or bake off another cake for service? (thanks for the pastry 101 lesson :wink: )

are the photos of wedding cakes from weddings at the club, or private/older catering jobs? how much flexibility do you get with menus - especially for private parties...are clients given several choices depending on budget - do you have options for all budgets or are you held to specific items?

what's in those luscious looking chocolate boxes...looks like custard of some sort? those made me drool. and i spent 5 minutes looking at the shells - they look so real. great job.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Holy mother of God! Stunning, Wendy, absolutely stunning! I'm likely not alone when I say that I'm a more-than-willing viewer of your random photos. Please keep them coming when time permits. What are your sources of creative inspiration?

Note to self: do NOT read Wendy's blog before eating anything in the morning.

Now all I want is cake for breakfast :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Wendy, thanks for taking the time to post pictures of your recent work! I have two questions:

-(If it's not too tacky to ask....) How much do members at the club pay to come to a buffet, on average?

-What sort of party did you create the handbag cakes for? A fashionista's b-day? :smile:

I want some of whatever's inside those chocolate boxes with the lids ajar.

I found that Payard book on your shelf, Wendy! In the middle, next to the Baker's Dozen. Sorry for the confusion.

Have you ever participated in any of those competitions in which incredibly realistic creations-- Eiffel Towers, ships at sea, whole neighborhoods-- are made out of sugar? I often wonder if the taste of these creations is given any consideration in the judging, or is it all about appearance?

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Dear Wendy,

My husband Loic has a sweet tooth and so loves desserts. I treated him to the splendor of your montage of past work tonight and he is thinking a rabbit cake would be just wonderful. Any one of them will do.

Your cakes and desserts look so inspiring! How many years of daily work has it taken to reach your level?

Something that immediately crossed my mind when scrolling through your beautiful portfolio is that many members of your club must think of you first when a wedding is planned in the family. How does that work? Are you consigned by the club or for private events such as weddings, or do you get to negotiate direct with the family holding the event?

I am really enjoying all of the wonderful pictures and am infinitely intrigued by what I've seen of your daily life. Your kitties are beautiful too. :smile:

The little lobsters blew my mind too. So cute! (And so many to pipe out just so--must take the patience of Job...)

All your work looks fabulous, I must say. I imagine it might possibly feel more inspiring artistry-wise to, say, create a bunch of realistic-looking cake/fondant purses than to build a cake/fondant Barney -- but hey, I can also imagine the labor and skill level are quite comparable. God knows I sure as heck wouldn't be able to knock out a Barney cake if my life depended on it.

Beautiful! I admire your talent and patience. I swear, I could almost smell cake!

I loved the little chocolate boxes too. What was inside?

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia