• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roommates and Cooking

I spent my 3rd year of university on exchange in small-town England. The residence held 36 students in single rooms and between us we shared 2 cookers, 2 fridges and one sink. I learned a lot that year, including the neat trick of draining pasta out the window ("Gardyloo!"). I also saw what the top of an unbaked Fray Bentos pie looks like. (The nightmares eventually stopped.) But despite the overall atmosphere of fetid squalor, the ziggurats of crusty, slimy, mouldering dishes in the sink and taking over the counter, the thick carpet of bits and crumbs on the floor, the thing that caused the most complaints was me. Because I cooked with garlic. Sigh.

Well, most of my roommate problems have been touched on already (mostly along the lines of lack of cleanliness), but the ever-popular crime of knife misuse really gets me going. Do not use my lovely little paring knife to try and dice a huge carrot or cube chicken breasts! I don't know what it is about that knife (my roommates won't touch any of my other ones), but people seem to want to use for the least appropriate tasks … :angry::sad:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Well, most of my roommate problems have been touched on already (mostly along the lines of lack of cleanliness), but the ever-popular crime of knife misuse really gets me going. Do not use my lovely little paring knife to try and dice a huge carrot or cube chicken breasts! I don't know what it is about that knife (my roommates won't touch any of my other ones), but people seem to want to use for the least appropriate tasks … :angry:  :sad:

Perhaps it's small size makes it less intimidating for those of us who are less knife inclined. Just a thought.

Well, most of my roommate problems have been touched on already (mostly along the lines of lack of cleanliness), but the ever-popular crime of knife misuse really gets me going. Do not use my lovely little paring knife to try and dice a huge carrot or cube chicken breasts! I don't know what it is about that knife (my roommates won't touch any of my other ones), but people seem to want to use for the least appropriate tasks … :angry:  :sad:

Perhaps it's small size makes it less intimidating for those of us who are less knife inclined. Just a thought.

That's probably it - it looks downright cute sitting between the chef's knife and the foot-long bread knife.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda