• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild Salmon, you say?

SethG

Random googling produces:

PCB's in Farmed Salmon [Environmental Working Group]

New Studies Show PCB Levels in Farmed Salmon Comparable to Wild [sOTA, an organization representing farmed salmon producers]

Percentage of Omega-3 acid to total fat in farmed vs. wild salmon

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

They didn't have any "wild" salmon, but did have some labeled as "organic", that was twice the price of the regular farmed stuff. The supermarket had no written information on the fish. When I asked the attendant where the fish was from, he said "Alaska". Figuring that by labeling it "organic" rather than wild, the fish was farmed, I told him that was unlikely.

Since Salmon aquaculture is AFAIK banned in Alaska there's some doubt as to the veracity of the clerk's story-as you suspect.

There is at least one 'organic' Salmon aquaculture operation in BC-I see the stuff on sale @ Capers.

Never bought it though and never will.